Chapter 11: The Room

Miriam

I was running late. I didn't have time to straighten my hair which bothered me. A pink mass of curls sat on my head. The coils were thick and tangled with each other.

After checking my makeup, I walked down the street to the Lucas residence.I rang the doorbell. There were the pitter patter of footsteps before the door opened.

"Hello. My name is Persephone Lucas. I'm seven years old and my favorite color is brown."The door opened to reveal a very cute miniature version of Hera. I greeted the kid and introduced myself.

"Hi I'm Miriam Berk and I'm eighteen years old. My favorite color is red." I shook her hand to avoid pinching her cheeks.

Before I even set foot in the home, Persephone's voice shot out. "My mom said that whenever we come in we have to take our shoes off because she doesn't want us to ruin her rug like at our old house."

"Who is it, Percy?" Hera's voice called from further into the house. Eventually, the blonde woman came into the foyer with a mixing bowl in one of her arms while the other stirred. "Oh Miriam, you came at the perfect time. Dinner's gonna be late tonight. We had a little accident earlier." Hera laughed towards the end.

I exhaled a sigh of relief. There was nothing worse than being late to a dinner I didn't want to go to in the first place.

"Cassius should be in his room. It's the second door to the right. Please keep the door open." I nodded at Hera who wondered off into the home. Persephone followed her mother and I set off towards the stairs.

I expected his room to be filled with nothing but black furniture, but it wasn't and I was pleasantly surprised. Band posters littered his wall and mitch-match furniture made his room a little more unique. His bed sat high almost the height of my hips. Cassius had the cleanest white duvet on his bed that blinded my eyes.

Cassius entered the room shirtless towel drying his hair. It was another pleasant surprise. I couldn't vocalize any words so for a moment I stood there and waited for him to notice me. When he did see me, a loud wolf whistle left my lips. A smile rolled on his face as I continued to ogle him.

It didn't last long as I saw the purple bruise that lined his ribs. I angled my head to see his wound.

"Did Chuck do this?" My fingers skimmed the bruise and I could see the shiver that traveled through his body. I didn't know if it was because of the bruise or because I was touching places I shouldn't. Cassius didn't move away though. If anything, he seemed to lean into my touch.

The silent Adonis nodded.

" You're probably gonna have to work really hard to get back on the team. Chuck can be a bit of a bitch too." There was a pause. I was expecting some input, but he continued his silent act. "Maybe it'll be better if you did distance yourself from me," He frowned at me, his posture turning so tense that I could bounce a penny off his biceps. "I mean that there are tons of clubs and people who hate me and they all have their reasons." I trailed off.

"Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough earlier. You're not going anywhere and I'm not distancing myself from you. No one is gonna make me do anything I don't want to do."

I wasn't intimidated by his presence or by the glare he pointed at me. What did throw me off-kilter was that he didn't insist on doing what was probably best for him. Cassius Lucas contradicted it.

"What did he do to make you swing on him?" I asked, trying to dispel the silence. Honey eyes bore into me and I could practically see the gears turning in his head. Cassius turned his back to me."Come on. You can tell me."

We were still standing very close to each other. I never noticed how tall he was until that moment when I had to look up at him. My hands returned to my sides slowly.

"He said something about you." His voice was low almost as if he was remembering what Chuck had said.

I couldn't help myself.

I squealed and jumped him from behind. He tottered a little before regaining his equilibrium.

"That's one the nicest things anyone has ever done for me." I climbed off of him once I heard him hiss in pain. My knee had been digging into the side of his body. I fell back onto his bed with a sigh. "I wish I could have seen it."

Believe it or not, I didn't have a lot of people sticking up for me. My parents did, but other people rarely did. I wasn't accustomed to people caring on that level without being some type of relative. It meant a lot to me that Cassius, a person I've known for a month, would kick ass for me. Even Dana would slip up and call me Mary-Anne who was her first close friend.

I was used to being set aside on the back burner so the whole football team situation wasn't a surprise for me, but it did hurt my feelings. Then to know that he had fought Chuck for something he said about me made me feel special.

It made me feel like someone liked me for being Miriam Berk and not just for filling in Mary-Anne's shoes.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hey guys. I know I haven't been doing author notes for this book often but I feel like I'm not connecting with you guys so what's up yall.

It's weird because, on my other book, there seems to be a constant influx of people screaming over there. For this one, yall are pretty silent and we have over 70k reads(thank you guys so much btw). I'm just like

  I'm just like

Are they here?

So I have two chapter questions for you guys: Who's your favorite character so far?

Which actor should be cast as Cassius?

maybe?