#27 "give me that"

The midwife instructed you to stay in bed. It was not quite time for the baby to arrive, yet your body was determined to get it out now. The midwife believes you were trying to do too much so you are now on restriction for one more week. You sighed out loud and you placed your book down in your lap, it has only been one day and you were bored out of your mind.

The midwife gave you a look. "You want that baby healthy and strong, don't you M'Lady?" And you nodded at her. "Then you stay right there and let the rest of us help you. That is what we are here for. You have servants for a reason."

You gave her a look, "Yes, but up until about ten months ago, I was a simple farm girl. It is hard for me to not simply do things for myself."

She gave you a look, "Well it is not like that now. You are the crowned Queen, and soon to be mother to a royal heir. We must do everything we can to make sure that baby is healthy. Also, if anything should happen to you during this birth... The king will have my head, I know it."

You smiled at her as she helped you put a pillow behind your back so you could at least sit up. "Here, you can sit up and read, do needlepoint and even receive guests. But no overdoing it, you hear me? If you feel the slightest bit tired, you take a nap. When it is time for that baby to arrive, you will need all of that strength." She hands you a cup of tea, "And here is the tea I know you like."

You had a few guests throughout the day come and sit with you and talk. Your mother-in-law stayed for a short time, she told you all about the hours and hours she spent in labor with the king. Causing you to wish she had kept that lovely story to herself. You had helped your mother with one of your younger sister's births so you were well aware of what was going to happen. A young mother in the village had also lost her child during a very long and hard birth, and they almost lost the mother as well. So you took a deep breath to push all of those thoughts from your mind and think about a happy healthy baby and a birth that didn't try to kill either one of you.

When the King returned later that evening he found you with a book about to slip from your lap, "Here, give me that." He said softly as he took the book and placed it on the nightstand. I am going to tuck you into bed and blow out this lamp. It is time you got some rest."