New Beginnings

Y/n's POV
I woke up with the sunlight shining through the sheer curtains. It was the same as every day for the last 16 years. I wake up without the comfort of a family and a home. I always knew I was different from everyone else at Sword and Cross I just didn't know how different until today.

I share my room with 3 other girls but they always make me feel unwelcome and uncomfortable. They always stop talking whenever I come in the room, at breakfast, lunch or dinner they always whisper things about me and laugh at me. No matter how many times I tell them to stop, how many people I tell about them and what they do. They still carry on. I never knew the reason why they hated me. So, I just assumed it was because even though my Mother had died while giving birth to me in prison, she was a murderer.

Over the years I realised it was better to embrace the reputation my Mother had given me. I knew deep down I was nothing like her though. Even though the only thing I knew about her, was that she got caught up with some bad people and so did my Father. I don't know their names or even what they look like. Heck I know next to nothing about my Father. The only thing I do know about him however, is that he came from a family of high authority. Or at least that's what the nurses that raised me said.

After breakfast I decided to go for a walk around the grounds as it was to early in the morning to deal with my roommates. "Only two more years. It's okay," I tell myself as I look up to my bedroom window. Just as I go to turn the corner I heard someone shout my name.

"Y/n! Y/n!" I turned around to see a nurse running at me screaming my name. "Y/n! Y/n there is a letter for you!" The nurse shouted breathlessly as she got closer to my side.

"Wait what?" I asked with surprise in my voice. "How could my family of written to me? Why didn't they come and get me earlier?" I asked taking the letter from the nurse's hand.

"It's not from your family Y/n," the nurse said gently while trying her best to comfort me.

"Wait, but I thought we could only get letters from family." I said confused.

"Me too, but the Mistress said you can have this one." The nurse said, her voice full of interest as I opened the letter.

Dear Y/n Lestrange,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You will be starting in your 6th year at school with us. You will be required to meet with myself and the Headmaster upon your arrival on the 31st August. This is so that we can discuss your family history. Please find an enclosed list of all necessary books and equipment you will need for the year. Term begins on September 1st. As we understand you do not have an owl to confirm your place. Because of this, we will be sending our own Professor Hagrid in two days time to your location at Sword and Cross Academy. You will be getting your robes, books and an owl. We look forward to having you at our school.
Yours Sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall

"This is a joke, right?" I asked clearly annoyed as I looked up to the nurse.

"Um, Y/n I don't think it's a joke. The Mistress seemed adamant that you have this letter," the nurse said cautiously as I was still clearly annoyed.

"Why! It's bullshit! A school for Witchcraft and Wizardry. That's pathetic! Get a better joke next time!" I shouted as I stormed back to the building.

"Y/n! Where are you going?" The nurse shouted after me.

"Bed! I'm going back to bed!" I shouted as I reached the stone archway leading me into Sword and Cross.

▫️▫️▫️

I woke up to the sound of people arguing outside my door, somehow the rest of the girls were still sound asleep. Only moments later an abnormally large man burst through the doorway. He looked scruffy, with his shoulder length dark brown hair all in tangles along with his beard. He was carrying a pink umbrella in one hand and in the other, something that looked like a letter. "Y/n Lestrange?" He asked looking at me as if he already knew the answer.

"Yes," I replied.

"My name is Rubeus Hagrid, I am here to take you to get your school stuff, and then to your meeting with the Headmaster and Professor McGonagall," Hagrid said while still standing in the doorway.

"You're seriously still going with that joke? Okay then, I guess if it means I can leave this hell hole then I'm fine with it." I said with amusement in my voice.

"Well come on then! Let's be going," Hagrid said as he turned around to leave.

"Wait! What about my stuff?" I asked pointing to my drawers.

"Oh, you won't be needing that. Just pack a bag with the essentials and meet me downstairs in 20 minutes," Hagrid replied while walking out the door.

I quickly jumped out of my bed and chucked on a black pair of jeans, a black hoodie, a leather jacket and of course my favourite pair of black and white vans. I turned around and started filling my bag with a couple of skirts, tops, a few pairs of trousers, some underwear, and my shower stuff. I turned around and looked at my desk before leaving and picked up the only thing that I knew my Mother by. A snake ring that I had put on a necklace chain. I always wore it. No matter what I was doing or where I was going. Even though my Mother was dead it still made me feel close to her somehow. I quickly did up the clasp and tucked it away down my jumper as I ran out the door.

Author's notes: Hi there! Thank you for reading this chapter. I hope it's okay. I have started this as an escape from my own reality and because I have read so many different fanfics and I appreciate every single one I've read. I've loved feeling the joy they have created and I wanted to create joy for someone else too. Love you all!