Chapter 15: Slipping

Katherine and Harry pushed themselves against the wall and she held her breath, ensuring her wand was all the way in her sleeve so nothing would peek out. She let her magic seep into her ears to try and hear the conversation that was drowning in the echoing chambers.

"...you too, Picquery? I've already told Grouse, it will not work. We're just delaying the inevitable and wasting resources we could be spending on—"

"On what, Hollinghunt? We have no leads and you've shut down now two good options to learn more."

"If you are on about that girl again—"

"She's a grown woman, Melinda," Picquery interrupted. "Not a child. And you haven't taken the time to realize—"

"I've seen enough to know giving her too much information is dangerous. You all put an awful lot of faith in her just doing the right thing."

"Because she has yet to do the wrong thing."

"She's an untrained witch at best, and a massively dangerous liability at worst. You all knew it before she charmed her way into your hearts and Crawley's pants."

Katherine felt her magic flare at Hollinghunt's final words. She felt Harry jerk his arm away from her—she was sure he had gotten a shock. She reached a streak of magic out to his temple and apologized silently.

Picquery sighed as they finally walked past them. "She's not charmed her way anywhere. We learned more information and adjusted accordingly."

"Well, adjust again. Katherine Waine is not going anywhere near Iz while I have anything to say about it. The last thing we need is for her to get hurt or hurt someone else because she has no clue what she is doing. And if Crawley knows what is good for him, he'll find her something else to do and not let her bring him down."

"Crawley can handle his own business."

"I'm his boss," she pointed out, the clicking of her heels halting. "His business is my business. And at least while you are in this building, both of you need to keep your heads on your jobs and not on her."

"I'm amazed you two aren't better friends," Picquery commented. "Both stubborn. But at least Katherine was willing to do whatever it took to get this figured out."

Hollinghunt folded her arms, the black suitcoat she wore stretching across her narrow shoulders. "I don't need to be friends with her. I need her to not blow up our government. You all have just let her go completely unchecked. And what happens when she disagrees with us, takes matters into her own hands, and we're left without a clue as to what she's doing?"

Picquery let out a short laugh. "What would you suggest? We can't change her magic. She already lives with an auror. Or are you planning on moving into her and Crawley's house?"

"No," she answered. "But I think we could find a way to monitor her. A tracking spell in the very least—"

"She'd have it down in a heartbeat. Trust me, we thought about it as soon as she got to America."

"And no one has thought about it since. And you say I'm not pursuing all available options."

"The options you are ignoring are being brought to you on a platter. Katherine aside, what about Anthony?" Picquery pushed as Hollinghunt started to walk again. "I've met him, he's a good guy."

"And you thought Iz was, too. Honestly Sebastian, we can't keep leaving this to our first impressions. People are much better manipulators than you give them credit for."

Katherine tugged on Harry's arm to follow the pair, trying to keep up with the conversation.

"I am well aware that people can be manipulative. But they are also our best options right now. We've exhausted all potions, charms, and healers at our disposal. What's next, give her a crystal ball and hope we can see something in it? Try and read her tea leaves?"