Chapter 48: Structure

The Wizengamot chamber was far scarier than any courtroom Katherine had seen in real life or on TV. There were seats on raised benches that felt more like a coliseum than a courtroom—the imposing columns and stone walls designed to make her feel small and defenseless. But, only two witches and two wizards sat in that sea of space. Their plum robes and funny, square hats created an added air of formality. But Katherine kept her shoulders even and her chin high—no matter what they said, she knew in her gut she'd done the right thing. No matter what else Harry or Crawley or any of them lobbed at her, she knew that this one thing had been right.

She saw a chair in the middle of the chamber, which she assumed she was to sit in. But she stood, as tall as she could, behind it.

Hermione sat in the middle, the silver W embroidered on her chest glinting occasionally in the dim room. The man to her left looked about Hermione's age, maybe a bit older, with a thin face and dark hair that went down to his shoulders. Next to him was a woman had to be at least thirty years his senior, with sprigs of grey hair barely peeking out of her hat. To Hermione's right, a man in his mid-fifties sat tapping a quill against the desk.

"I'm sorry we had to meet down here," Hermione started. "My office decided to grow grass at some point last night and the root cause has yet to be found. Feel free to have a seat."

"I'll stand if that's alright."

Hermione raised an eyebrow at her, then turned to Harry who just shook his head and put his hand to his temple.

Deciding not to press the issue, Hermione gave a short nod. "Very well. Please state your name."

"Katherine Waine."

"And your father's name?"

Katherine narrowed her eyes, her voice slowing. "George Weasley."

"And what is your relationship to me."

Katherine raised her brow, and Hermione added, "We have to make a complete record. Please answer the question."

"You're my aunt," Katherine said, noting the quill and paper floating between her and the benches, writing furiously as they spoke.

"Do you know why you are here?"

"Yes."

"And have you and I spoke about the incident in question?"

"No."

"May the record reflect that I, due to the natural conflict at play in this case, have recused myself from the decision making. Have you spoken to anyone in this room about it?"

Katherine glanced at Harry instinctually, and he gave a short nod.

"Yes."

"Who?"

"Harry Potter. Who, before you ask, is my uncle."

Hermione straightened in her chair, giving Katherine as much warning in her eyes as she could without risking the others seeing it.

"Answer the questions asked," Harry whispered. Though she only heard a muffled version, she got the gist of it.

"You've already stated you know why you are here. You are aware that you modified an official memory charm?"

"Yes."

"On whom?"

"Kevin Clarke."

"And how did you meet Mr. Clarke?"

Katherine shifted her weight from one foot to the next, scratching at her arms. "I stayed in his pub a few years back. We became friends."

"Can you explain the nature of your relationship with him?"