Chapter 72: Impressed

"No door," Ezra said as they stood in his office collecting his things. "I have a better idea. If you're up for a little trip to Iowa."

"Always," Katherine laughed. "But I can get us right there—"

"Katiebird, let me show off?"

The glint in his eye made her a bit nervous, but she nodded. His grin grew as he took her hand and led her out into the hall. She smirked at Hollinghunt's door—a newspaper article had conveniently been placed over where she knew a glimmering teal woodpecker was still emblazoned.

"I know I should stop taking the bait with her," Katherine said as they walked. "But it is just so hard not to."

"It won't matter much after the wedding," Ezra assured her. She wished she could know which scenario made that most likely.

She thought about changing her appearance, but Ezra's hand around hers made her want to stick to her own. And she didn't even know if there was really a point anymore.

Katherine thought back to what she'd seen Lee do earlier and cast a spell over her and Ezra's faces, giving the appearance of masks to any passing muggles.

"Neat parlor trick," Ezra said lightly. Katherine ignored him, instead smiling broadly at a familiar face.

"Chris!"

"Hey, Katherine," he nodded, tossing a pair of keys to Crawley. "Long time, no see. I was getting worried."

"You're so sweet. How's your mom?"

"No worse for the snare. Fully recovered. By the way, I am a big fan of this new form of transportation."

Katherine's face scrunched, and she looked to the curb, finding no car.

"What are you . . ."

Her voice trailed off as she saw Crawley reach for a pair of helmets, sitting on top of the seat of a shiny black motorcycle.

She laughed, crossing her arms. "Is MACUSA looking to up their image with the youths?"

"'The youths?'" Ezra mocked. "How old are you?"

She rolled her eyes and he walked back to her and handed her a helmet. "I borrowed it from one of the L.A. offices. Couldn't get my hands on a vespa."

Damn, she thought. He's good.

"Impressed yet?"

"We'll see if you crash," she answered. Lied.

"Don't you trust me?"

"I trust that this is like the cars."

"Very true," he said, swinging himself over the bike. "So, are you coming?"

Katherine had come to like flying. But as they zig zagged through the streets of New York, she was sure that broomsticks would take second place to this. She clung to Ezra's sides, the hair sticking out of her helmet blowing in the wind as they hit every green light and cars seemed to open up paths for them.

They didn't go right to the garage. Ezra drove her across a bridge she still didn't know the name of, sparkling water reflecting the many lights of the city up at them. They maneuvered around parks and high-rises and eventually she just closed her eyes, resting her cheek on his back and sighing contentedly, a movie soundtrack swimming through her mind. They moved, fast and weightless, for what felt like the quickest hour she could remember.

When they rolled out of the garage in Iowa, however, Ezra pulled off in the parking lot of her favorite grocery store.

"Do we need something?" she asked, thinking of their fully stocked kitchen.