DARK BUT JUST A GAME

A PREQUEL

A PREQUEL

Her heart is rotten.

And girls with rotten hearts have tar pumping through their veins instead of blood. They trade their crimson for coal. Their souls wasted away, void of what makes them human. For how could a rotten heart ever love? And how could one be human without love? Though it shouldn't matter when girls with rotten hearts know how to hide their sunless crevices with coats of saccharine smiles and decadent deceits.

Anastasia Cortez is, above all things, rotten. Rotten heart, rotten mind, rotten soul.

Her heart is more of a carcass, her soul the every bit of filth they make it out to be, her hands the every bit of soaked in scarlet they say they are, her mouth speaks of carnage and all things bloody. Yet she holds a delicate stare, promising of adoration, and so when the luring siren song falls past her lips — it makes one forget of the humanity she abstains herself from.

Despite being a villain — she is still a girl, young and naive, wanting with her palms to hold more than she can carry. So when all things familiar are snatched from her small hands, she sinks into desperate measures, ones where is willing to betray those she called hers, where is willing to unleash a hurricane — willing to destroy.

Anger becomes rage. Want becomes obsession.

A bargain is thrust into her desperate and downright greedy hands, her heart screaming for revenge with every beat and her scowling mouth ready to chomp. She savors the sweet delicacy of it before she can taste the cavities since after all the price of immortality is always treacherous.

Perhaps she thought poison could stop being poison when death could stop being death.

Maybe she is insane, a deep-rooted mania, stemmed from her violent and revenge-ridden heart — a rotten heart, for only a mad fool falls for the luster of diamonds and forgets they once were coal. Sometimes thinking too much of consequences, and sometimes not at all. Sometimes yearning for revenge, and sometimes yearning to be loved. She is a contradiction and a paradox in itself, with spots of mold, and spots of honey that still bloom.

Her heart is rotten, but immortalized.