010. let me be with you

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN. LET ME BE WITH YOU

         "Well, fuck

"Well, fuck."

The Duke has just been told what went down after choosing to go to sleep early.

         A murder in his castle.

         It's early morning now. He resides in the sitting room section of his chambers alongside his mother and the castle's witch. They meet for a rather hasty discussion before the actual council meeting takes place. All to decide what to do with the accused and the accuser.

         Darker truths lie beneath the doctor that confessed to murdering his wife—the sort of truths that cannot be divulged to the council. So, while the Duke cannot openly express his loathe for vampires, he can confide it with his mother and Himesh.

         There is something the three of them seem to agree on: the vampires are behind this.

         However, during the examination of the body, no bite marks could be found, which are usually indicative of a vampire's killing. It was upon the belief that there were no such marks since the side of her throat—where the bite should've been—had been shredded, leaving no trace of what there might've been.

         Still, after deeper inspection, it was hard to believe someone human could've done this.

         Which is why the Duke finds himself at a crossroads. The decision that is surer to take place in the council meeting is that the doctor should face execution for his crimes. However, Leonas knows the unlikely probability that he is indeed guilty of murder.

        "I thought you had a deal with that vampire," he tells his mother, aggravated.

         Contessa stares at her son. She gives no verbal response, just a hard glare. Clearly she feels humiliated for believing Elijah's word. His diplomacy did seem too good to be true.