006. hydrangeas & stolen dances

CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX. HYDRANGEAS & STOLEN DANCES

          A classic cat-and-mouse game

          It has been a little over a week since they last spoke to each other. Though they search for one another, they don't explicitly acknowledge it, like a silent contest of sorts—where all they can do is steal glances. Voiceless conversations in crowded rooms. This especially happens during dinner, they pretend to be laughing and smiling about something the person next to them says, but really, they have only found each other's eyes. There is an illicit aspect to it that entices them so badly, her hand is promised and she is set to marry, and yet she can't help but want to know more about this stranger, and neither can he help it.

         Klaus intrigues her, greatly. From the way his confidence never seems to falter to how adamant he is in pursuing her. But also because he is everything she should stay away from. It makes him easy to like.

         Ever since she found Klaus out in the garden, Anastasia has been spending more time outdoors. She stands on a bridge, overlooking a pond. Lily pads coat the water. She is by herself as she paces the bridge, hands shaking at her sides. She hates how much she thinks about him.

         She doesn't know how much time has passed when she sees what she has been hoping for—as if calling for Klaus with her thoughts, she makes out his approaching figure from a distance. He has his hands behind his back and his expression seems to lighten just by looking at her. Whereas he usually looks cold and menacing, his features take in a warmness when he's within her vicinity.

         They are infatuated because they know so little about each other. It helps paint an ideal picture.

         He comes to stand in front of her and smiles down at her, more so with his eyes than with his mouth. She smiles too.

         "Lord Klaus," she curtsies, "a fine day, isn't it?"

         He draws a chuckle, and glimpses at the sky. It's sunny. "Certainly." Then, he looks at her again. "I've been wanting to see you."