4- Conversation

The school day came to an end and the four of us made our way home. With Konoha's house being the closest one to campus, he was the first one to be dropped off. Soon after that, Akaashi was dropped off at his house as well.

That left me and Bokuto-san alone, walking in silence until he brought up what happened during lunch. "I'm sorry for earlier, L/N. I had no bad intentions."

"Oh, it's fine. It's my fault for forgetting my earplugs, after all." I replied, taking a glimpse of his curious yellow eyes.

Wanting to change the subject, I asked him about volleyball. Konoha mentioned a volleyball game earlier when the four of us were talking, so I was a tad bit curious. His eyes lit up, excited to tell me how he was in the top five for aces in the country, but I found myself unconsciously staring at him and his features. His round, golden eyes were the first thing I noticed about him, but his captivating smile was the second. When he was joking around with Konoha, I couldn't stop looking. He's kind of cute-

"L/N"

Interrupting my thoughts, he stared at my face curiously, making me blush with embarrassment. "Do I have something on my face?"

"No, I just got distracted... sorry," I tell him as I turn back towards the direction we were walking.

"It's all good. Oh- this is my stop. Before you leave, I have a question," I look at him, humming in response.

"Can you spare me some relationship advice?"

A knot in my stomach formed, almost as if I didn't want to. However, I played along with it to not look out of the ordinary. "Do you think I would have advice for even myself?" I asked him in a fake playful tone.

"It's just- I'm sort of friends with this one girl, Sarah, and I want to let her know I see her more than just a friend. She's well-known around the school. You probably don't know her yet, though," he tells me, combing his hands through his black hair with white dyed streaks.

She must be pretty. I hope he doesn't get rejected.

"The best I could tell you is.. get to know her more, maybe find out what her hobbies are or what things she likes to eat. You can take her out more often based on that information. Once you think you're ready to tell her, go for it," I tell him, the knot in my stomach getting tighter.

He gave me a bright smile and moved his hand over to pat my head. "Thank you, L/N, you're amazing."

Before I knew it, he waved and walked into his house.

Why does it hurt...

.

A few minutes after dropping Bokuto off, I arrived at my house, taking my shoes off upon entering. To my surprise, my mother was standing there already, a stern look on her face. What'd I do this time?

"Why are you late?"

"I-I was walking home with Keiji and his friends." Smiling at her, I hoped she would be curious or at least a teensy bit proud of me for making friends, but it only earned me a slap on the cheek.

That's going to leave a mark.

"YOU NASTY WHORE!" I flinch. "YOU'RE ALWAYS TALKING TO MEN!" she yelled as she grabbed my hair and started to pull me up the stairs. "You need to find some GIRL friends!" Once we reached the top of the staircase, she forcefully threw me onto the floor of my room and slammed the door.

Already used to her behavior, I paid it no mind and locked my door. There's no point in crying about something I've already endured for years.

Changing into a comfortable t-shirt and sweatpants, I couldn't help but think about my father. Nothing has been the same without him. I wonder how different things would be if he was still here.

After studying the notes I needed to catch up with for my classes and finishing my homework, I grabbed my PJs and both of my towels and made my way to the bathroom, where I took a shower. Looking into the mirror while brushing my soft, but wet, H/L, H/C hair, I noticed a bruise forming on my cheek, the same one my mother slapped.

Great...

I looked around the bathroom and my room for makeup to cover it up for school tomorrow but had no luck. Fingers crossed, no one will notice. Defeated, I flopped onto my bed and drifted into a much-needed slumber.