Chapter Six: Life in Color

Night had fallen and once more Ezuni found that he couldn't sleep. He stood at the window looking out at the still busy city. It was then that a flash of motion caught his eye. Across the street, standing in an alley was a hooded figure. They were back!

Ezuni had to learn more.

The scav knew his friends, including Jing, were all settled for the night. He would find out everything he could then come back. He walked down the stairs and outside. The hooded stranger was now at the corner of the inn. Ezuni headed in their direction only for them to take off at a brisk pace.

Ezuni followed the stranger, moving fast enough to keep them in sight but not enough to draw undue attention to himself. He was led down several twists and turns before he was good and lost. Then he slipped down one last narrow alley and came to an abrupt halt as he entered a square courtyard with high walls. The stranger was waiting for him. The narrow alley was still at his back and he checked that it was still clear so that he wasn't trapped.

Ezuni didn't feel threatened. There was no reason to lure him to a secluded area to harm him. No Mahavan would be condemned for attacking a scav. He had nothing of import to steal. He relaxed, his interest kindling as he looked at the stranger.

The stranger removed their head covering to reveal a young man near his age with ginger hair like his and brown eyes. He smiled at Ezuni. "Welcome to Pahazi! My name is Mahkti!"

"My name is Ezuni," Ezuni introduced.

"I had hoped your small friend would join us, but it is enough that I am talking with you now."

Ezuni understand he was referring to Jing.

"I see you did not put on the ruj," Mahkti continued, gesturing to the head covering in his own hands.

"Jing and I didn't understand the reasons we should wear it or even how to put them on."

"The ruj is the most important piece of clothing a Pahazene scav has. It gives us freedom to be treated like every other Mahavan."

Ezuni's eyes widened. "That can't be true!"

"It is."

Ezuni frowned. "I don't see how."

"Pahazi is a big, colourful place. Being a port city, peoples from other places come and go here. Some of them wear head coverings. Pahazene scavs picked up the practice as well. It conceals our features so that the average observer can't tell us apart from a foreigner. In order to not offend any visitors to our city, Pahazenes treat us all with the same respect."

Ezuni shook his head, unable to believe such a thing.

"Come. Let me show you."

Ezuni allowed Mahkti to approach him and with a few deft movements wound a ruj around his head, covering him so that only his eyes were visible. Then he followed the Pahazene scav as he led him out of the courtyard. They stopped at the first shop they found. Mahkti didn't hesitate to step inside and walked around as if he belonged there. No one gave them a second glance as they moved through the various displays, pausing to look at things. Mahkti even dared to touch items and picked an item up and walked out with it.

No one stopped them.

Mahkti headed back to the courtyard. He faced Ezuni with a knowing look. "Scavs never remove their ruj in public. They only come off if we are with other scavs or people that we can trust with our lives."

"I understand," Ezuni said.

"Let's get you back to your friends before they notice you are missing." Mahkti led Ezuni back to the Freckled Feather, walking him to the door this time. "Tell your small friend."

"I will."

"Until we meet again."

Ezuni headed inside and was immediately faced with Jing, sitting on the stairs.

The boy popped up with a gasp, eyes wide as he took in Ezuni's appearance.

Ezuni forgot he was still wearing the ruj and quickly pulled the part covering his nose and mouth down. "It's me, Jing."

"Ezuni!" Jing squeaked, taking a step down so that he was now eye to eye with Ezuni at the bottom of the steps. "I woke up and you were gone, and I couldn't find you anyplace and-!"

Ezuni quickly placed his hands on Jing's biceps to still his panic. "I'm alright. Let's go to our room and I'll tell you everything."

He followed Jing up the stairs relieved that Asaka was still asleep but then he saw Dahlia watching them. He gave her a pleading look and she dipped her head in response. The last thing he wanted was to have to explain himself to everyone at once. Dahlia wasn't much for talking but she had always supported Ezuni if he needed someone to be there for him. Like now.

Ezuni and Jing stepped into their room. Jing sat cross-legged on his bed near the far wall. He watched in silence as Ezuni told him about everything that had happened while he was with Mahkti. The boy was just as amazed as Ezuni.

"Our friends are going to love this!" Jing squeaked, voice muffled by the ruj he had put on with Ezuni's help.

They exchanged a knowing look. Then they settled down to sleep. For the first time, Ezuni felt eager for the day to come.