Chapter Nine: Shelter Through the Storm

Asaka had entered the water. Bertie had left, as he had his own duties to attend to. Colo, Dahlia and Murna had settled on the sand. Ezuni was set to join his friends but then he saw Mahkti at the beach's edge. He had no idea how long Asaka would be in the water and he saw no point in waiting around for her if there was a chance to connect with the Pahazene scav.

"I'm gonna go for a walk," Ezuni said.

Colo looked surprised but Dahlia gave him a knowing look.

"Take your time, Ezuni. Asaka certainly will," Dahlia said.

Ezuni smiled, pleased to have an understanding friend that didn't push for details. He strolled away, careful to keep his pace casual and direction meandering. It wasn't until he slipped around the corner of a building that Mahkti met him.

"Walk with me, Ezuni," Mahkti invited.

The two of them did just that, blending seamlessly with the crowd that flowed through Pahazi's streets. Ezuni had never known freedom like this before. No one gave him a second glance. He wasn't a scav here. He was simply a Pahazene.

They traveled slowly, with no set destination in mind. It was nice to pick the pace, unhurried by Asaka's impatience or the crowd's intolerance. If he wanted to stop and look at wares in a shop or a work of art, he could. So, he did. Mahkti stuck with him, offering tidbits of information on the things or people he saw.

Ezuni felt far more comfortable in the heart of Pahazi than he had at the port that morning or he ever had back in Mahazi, including Scav Square. He imagined that this was how the average Mahavan lived: openly and without fear. After meeting Basile and his brief visit to Bahara that past Thunder, he had always believed that scavs could be integrated into Mahavan society. He had had to travel all the way to Pahazi to find that it was possible. If only this could spread to the rest of Maha!

They were stopped now in front of a large golden sculpture of the sun. It appeared to be one continuous strip of metal that spiraled from top to bottom. It was a piece that drew the eye even in the colourful Pahazene streets. One could not help but look at it and several other people had stopped to admire the sculpture. Ezuni felt a foreign sense of awe as he gazed upon it.

"This was the first piece of art that our ani commissioned after he was appointed to the Mahani," Mahkti explained. "That was almost a century ago."

Ezuni raised his eyebrows. "I knew Ani Halvor was old, but I didn't know he was that old!"

"Wow!" a familiar voice exclaimed behind them. "I didn't know that either."

They turned to see Coralie and Jing.

"I didn't expect to see you here, Ezuni," Coralie said. "I hope you're not lost."

Ezuni shook his head. "I'm not lost, Coralie. I just met a new friend. Coralie, Jing, this is Mahkti. Mahkti, these are my friends, Coralie, and Jing. Coralie's the reason I'm here. The invitation Ani Halvor initially gave her was extended to a whole group of us."

Understanding flashed across Coralie's face. "Oh! You're the one that gave Ezuni and Jing the ruj."

"Yup, that was me," Mahkti confirmed, sounding amused.

"I'm so glad they met you, Mahkti and I'm glad I got to meet you too!"

"Coralie! Jing! We've got plenty more to see!" Alasdair called the two children from further down the street.