Chapter Fourteen: To Stay or Not to Stay

Splashing Puddles Moon had passed faster than expected. Of course, Flood felt like it had swept right by. So much had happened that season. Coming to Pahazi had become the best thing that had ever happened to Ezuni. Now he didn't know how to think or feel.

His life had changed so much in the past year. Not only his life but the lives of scavs across the country. He had seen peoples' opinions improved about scavs. He had seen people go from strangers to friends. He had been given a glimpse of everything that life could be.

Despite the changes, Ezuni had never felt at home in Mahazi. He was constantly on display with his scars, and it didn't help that he associated with the Princess. Other than this small group of friends, he wasn't welcome anyplace. He constantly felt on edge, knowing just how delicate life was. His life could fall apart at any moment.

Pahazi was not like that. For the first time ever, Ezuni had met people that understood him. Not sympathized or pitied or feared or hated him. Accepted him. Treated him like family.

Not only that. In the city itself, he felt free. He could walk in the open, alone, day or night and do so safely. Safety was a completely foreign feeling for scavs. It still exhilarated him that he could have that too.

The problem was that he had come to visit, and it was coming to an end. He didn't want to leave. He had found a place he truly belonged. It hurt to think of giving that all up. To stay hadn't been a consideration until...

"I'm really going to miss this," Ezuni murmured, staring out at the sea, the brisk wind almost stealing his words.

Of course, Mahkti heard him. "You could always stay."

Ezuni looked at Mahkti, heart beginning to pound and mind beginning to race at the possibility. "I could, I mean I would but-" He couldn't deny just how much he wanted this.

"Pahazi is an ideal place for scavs. From everything I've learned about you, Ezuni, I know there isn't much keeping you in Mahazi, unless..." Mahkti cocked his head, staring at Ezuni for a moment, "your feelings for Asaka are stronger than you've let on."

Ezuni actually laughed at this. "No, no it isn't Asaka."

"But there is someone."

Mahkti placed a comforting hand on Ezuni's shoulder. "They would be welcome here too."

Ezuni shook his head. "No, he couldn't leave. He has his own life."

"Then he should love you enough to let you go."

Now he was waiting for a response.

It came.

Ezuni's anxiety was high as the zunir gave the message.

"We all deserve a place to call home and I'm happy that you've found yours. May Kembe light your path always."

Tears streamed down Ezuni's face as he heard everything Basile hadn't said. He would be missed but he understood. He wanted only the best for Ezuni even if that meant they couldn't be together anymore. He would always be Ezuni's friend and everything they had shared wouldn't be forgotten. Basile had been his first friend and had given him the best gift of all: freedom.

"Now you just gotta tell Asaka," Mahkti said.

"Yeah," Ezuni sighed.

Thankfully, Asaka was easy to find. She was with Balfour at his forge.

"Asaka, I need to talk with you," Ezuni said.

Asaka glanced at Balfour as the man worked. "Balfour, I'm gonna chat with Ezuni. I'll be back later."

The big man waved a hand though he didn't look way from his work.

Ezuni and Asaka walked down the thoroughfare. "I've been doing some thinking."

"And you want to stay."

Ezuni gave Asaka a startled look.

Asaka smiled. "I've seen you change before my very eyes, Ezuni. You're different here. Pahazi and your scav friends have offered you so much more than Mahazi or I ever could. I'm not going to get in the way of your happiness."

Ezuni did something he had never done before. He hugged Asaka. "You've changed my life, Asaka. I wouldn't have any of this without you."

"As you've changed mine."

"Now it's time to change the rest of Maha."