Chapter 8: Leaving The Shire

Start of recap...

Frodo eyes it suspiciously as a hand appears over his shoulder. Frodo gasps as it spins him around

Hearing him gasp Claen grabs her bow ready to shoot.

Gandalf: (whispering frantically) Is it secret?! Is it safe?!

"Gandalf!" cried Claen embarrassed at pointing her Bow at the old wizard.

Frodo opens a trunk and rummages through his things. Gandalf hears something and turns around nervously.

Frodo grasps an envelope and gives it to the wizard. Gandalf snatches it and tosses it into the fireplace

Frodo: What are you doing?!

"Gandalf what wrong" asked Calen worried.

End of recap...

Third person pov...

The envelope begins to burn, revealing the Ring within. Gandalf takes a pair of tongs and removes it

Gandalf: Hold out your hand, Frodo. It’s quite cool.

Frodo takes it and starts a little at the heat, staring at the gold band

Gandalf: What can you see? Can you see anything?

Frodo: (examining the ring) Nothing. There’s nothing.

Gandalf sighs in relief

Frodo: Wait. There are markings. It’s some form of Elvish. I can’t read it.

Frodo looks at Calen who shrugs her shoulders "Oi! I might be old but I'm not that old, even I can't read that and I've studied a lot of old forms of Elvish" she cried

She then calmed down to ask her own question.

"Elvish why would a ring have elvish on it" Questioned Calen.

Gandalf: There are few who can. The language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here.

Frodo: (bewildered) Mordor!

Gandalf: In the common tongue, it says: ‘One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.’

The Ring lays resting on the kitchen table

"Saurons ring" muttered the Elf bewildered Bilbo had got the right ring in the cave with Gollum then.

Gandalf: (staring at it) This is the One Ring, forged by the Dark Lord Sauron in the fires of Mount Doom, taken by Isildur from the hand of Sauron himself.

Frodo: Bilbo found it- in Gollum’s cave.

Gandalf: Yes. For sixty years, the Ring lay quiet in Bilbo’s keeping, prolonging his life, delaying old age. But no longer, Frodo. Evil is stirring in Mordor.The Ring has awoken. It’s heard it’s master’s call.

"He found it while we were Escaping Goblin-Town" muttered the Elfling making Frodo look at her surprised.

Frodo: But he was destroyed. Sauron was destroyed.