iii. visitors

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 ─── visitors

𝖂hen stories were mere words whispered in the ears...

Delia smiled and shook her head as she watched Amphitrite rub her forehead, a look of annoyance plastered across her regal features.

"I see that you did not go to Olympus." The queen of the seas opened one eye, pushing the dark braids of her hair back. They clinked together, bejewelled with shells and pearls that glimmered in the light of the setting sun. Delia smiled serenely, placing some food onto Amphitrite's plate. "Was the business so abhorrent up there that you decided to come and see me instead?"

"No, I wanted to come and see you." Amphitrite protested, leaning forward to grab the drink from ahead of them. It was wine, made using the grapes from the vineyards on the south of the island, just as most of her food was. Delia picked up a slice of peach, popping it into her mouth as she waited for the older goddess to start speaking. Normally, Delia hated having to get involved in any drama that occurred on Olympus, but it provided for light conversation at points. "It's quite a scandal. Zeus got another girl pregnant."

"That's not a scandal. That's everyday news." Delia rolled her eyes, shaking her head in distaste at the man.

"I know, but it gets more interesting than that." Amphitrite held a hand up to signal for Delia to be patient. "Zeus married Hera whilst the other woman was pregnant and not only is it just some woman, it's Leto!" 

"Leto?" Delia furrowed her eyebrows, trying to work out where she'd heard the name before. "Leto, Leto, Leto, the Titan goddess?"

"Yes, that very one." Amphitrite leant back in her chair, a smirk playing on her lips. "Now, Hera is chasing poor Leto across the lands in a fit of jealousy and Zeus is not raising a hand to help in either of their favours."

"How terrible for the both of them." Delia muttered, picking up a cherry to nibble on. She sensed that the conversation was over, so moved onto better topics. "Triton seems well?"

"He is," Amphitrite smiled at the thought of her golden child, causing Delia to grin. Her friend always looked happy at the mention of her son. "He's gone to Olympus with his father for the first time, and my only hope is that he manages to stay out of trouble."

"That boy sure seems to be a magnet for it," The women chuckled together, sipping on their wine as the sun's rays slowly turned from golden to orange. Amphitrite tilted her head, causing the room to glow with lights from the jewels in her hair. "Poseidon should keep him out of anything too problematic."

"Well, if you've warned him, then I'm sure he will," Delia smiled at the older woman, who was well known for her threats, and acting on them.