xiv. baking and apples

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 ─── baking and apples

𝕲ranting joy and prosperity to the earth around them

Delia had not quite believed Hermes when he told her that he wanted to marry her. She wanted to believe him, but he was always moving so fast that she never really had a chance to properly ask him. When she did manage to get him in one place and ask, he had been called away by another god the moment that he had gone to answer, and she was stuck not knowing. When he had returned, he had collapsed in a heap and gone to bed. 

So, she gave up. She had not put that much thought into it after those attempts. Perhaps it was a passing thought that they would revisit later on, when they were older and more secure in themselves. They were still only young after all, there was no need for them to rush into anything. And they were gods. They lived for ever, they had all the time in the world.

At least, that's what she had thought.

"Delia, hurry up." Hermes called, as the woman rolled her eyes and padded down the stairs with a yawn and a stretch. "What is that look for?"

"It is far too early for this."

"Yes, but we ran out of apple cakes and you told me that this time, we would make more and you would teach me how to do it so I could make them for you this time around." Hermes pointed out, the wings on his shoes flittering only slightly, like they too, were tired.

"I did." Delia acknowledged, before accepting Hermes' arm as the pair padded out to the apple groves. It was growing a little colder now, just about to hit the slightly colder months so they were making the most of being able to get the last of the summer fruits from the boughs of the trees. The sun had already burnt off the mist that the sea brought in, leaving little dew drops atop the leaves. "Help me up."

"Of course." Hermes was quick to pick her up onto his shoulder, with ease as he watched her pick the last few, late blooming, apples from the boughs. They worked in near silence, dodging between the trees and getting the apples before returning back to the warmth of the kitchen.

In all truth, they were enjoying the time without screaming babies involved. The twins had somewhat ruined their sleep schedule, causing the two gods to do the things they liked to do when the babies were asleep. They did not need the added soundtrack of crying over their more peaceful moments together.

"Okay, then you add this and that."

"How much?" Hermes asked, as Delia shrugged. "That is such a precise amount, I know exactly how much to add."

"I do not know, it is just a feeling." Delia laughed gently, before putting a little of both in as Hermes pulled a face. "You just know how much should go in."

"Darling, I deal with numbers. These are not numbers."

"Oh dear." Delia pouted and pinched his cheek gently as Hermes huffed. Delia laughed, walking off to let Hermes finish up as she prepared food for the trio that lived there, knowing that Leto needed her strength to keep up with the babies. They were already a handful at merely a few weeks old, and it made Delia worried about how much she would have to watch them when they were finally let loose on her island. She feared they might rip a tree out or divert the river, something she was worried they were capable of.

She loved her godchildren, but lord forbid that they were calm.

Something hit her on the back of her head, sending the woman stumbling forward as she huffed and turned to glare at Hermes. His eyes had gone wide, face pale as he looked at her angry face.

"What was that?"

"I did not know it would hit your head!"

"You threw something at my head?" Delia huffed, looking down at the floor as she picked up the apple. "Why are you throwing apples at me? You are wasting perfectly good fruit!"

"Delia..."

"Now it is going to be as bruised as my head." Delia pouted as Hermes picked the apple up from her hands and chuckled nervously. "There was no need to throw a fruit at me. Calling my name would have got me to turn around just the same."

"It was not to get your attention."

"Then why did you throw an apple at me? My head hurts." She mumbled the last part, pouting as Hermes winced.

"I admit, it was a little clumsy of me, but my intentions were pure." Hermes corrected, placing a hand on her head. "I was only trying to propose, with that cute mortal tradition."

"Propose?"

"Yes, we talked about this."

"I admit, I thought you were perhaps joking about marrying me." Hermes' pulled a face of disbelief as Delia softened slightly to watch the god. "I did not realise mortals threw apples at people to propose."

"I thought you would appreciate that." Hermes mumbled, his wings drooping a little as Delia smiled and cupped his cheek, hoping to cheer him up a little.

"I do, but next time, please remember, you are a god with godly strength and good accuracy. You threw that a little too hard at my head."

"Sorry." He mumbled. "But I did propose."

"You did propose." Delia nodded.

"And what do you say?" Hermes cocked an eyebrow as Delia's brain went blank.

"Not to throw an apple at me again?"

"No, about marrying me."

"Oh. Ohh." Delia laughed slightly. "Sorry, y-the bread is burning."

Hermes yelped, rushing to get the bread out of the ovens as he placed them on the side, mourning their slightly charred appearance. It was the one thing that Delia trusted him to make, knowing that he could do that well. Delia leant over his shoulder, leaning into his neck as she pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"They burnt."

"I think I would quite like to marry you." Delia mused, as Hermes stopped pouting over his failed bread loaves, turning to look back at Delia. She smiled, as his eyes lit up, cheeks blushing, before he leant back to kiss her gently, his hand cupping her cheek. "Even if you cannot cook to save your life."

"I shall leave that to my far more competent half."

Hiya,

Short and sweet, because I'm trying to finalise final parts but you get the point. Next chapter, I think it's the wedding scene, I think. Anyhow, we shall see, they're very cute.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx