The Wedding Reception

I watched her smile at Damian and wondered whether that was what true love looked like.  Dimple had been through a lot, with a horrible mother and an arranged marriage to a man who hated her.  And yet here she was, sitting at the table on her wedding reception, with the same man.  The only reason being they now could not be apart for longer than a few minutes.

Did miracles really happen?  I wondered as I looked at my blushing friend.  There was no denying that they both hailed from different worlds, but it was beyond any doubt that they belonged together.  Feeling the old jealousy rise, I stood up and walked to the deck.  My friend deserved all this happiness, yet, why was I being jealous.  I stared at the ocean hooded within the night.  I smiled that same cold smile, as I knew why I was jealous, why I was so miserable.

"Now a damsel looking so forlorn with me around?" I heard his voice and sighed.  "Not now Nick!" I said to my very charming, playboy boss.  I did not need to turn to be able to see who that silken voice belonged to.  No doubt Nick was the most respected amongst lawyers, and to be fair, he was indeed the best, but then he had this other side, the one who just wanted to get into any girls pants.

"Now would be a perfect time for an overdue chat" he said, and I could sense his smile.  He walked over to the rail where I was standing, leaned against it, his back to it and champagne in his hand. 

He was not standing close enough, and yet his expensive cologne wafted to my nostrils.  I guess this was all part of the charm he exuded on women.  Women seemed to automatically smile around him, he had the charisma to make them comfortable, bring their guards down with his sweet words and then.  I shook my head.  Nick was the type of man I abhorred.

"Are you jealous of her?" he asked and I stared at him.  How the hell could he have guessed?

He looked at me then and chuckled.  "Am not telepathic, but I have to be able to read expressions to be a successful lawyer." He explained and again, I hated that he was the best.  If only he would not have been a player, I might have actually fallen for his charm, the way women usually did.

"Am not jealous.  Just sad that I am going to miss her" I said, which was actually true.  We had shared a college dorm room, shared the classes and shared the office cabin.  Now Dimple would be leaving for her honeymoon and not be back for a whole month.

"Liar!" Nick stated and I found that I could not reply him.  Not now, when I was in this foul mood.  I wanted to be left alone!

"But I'll accept that for now." He said, winking at me.  Is that what other women swoon at?  I could not deny that he was indeed a very handsome man.  With dark black hair, which I bet were smooth, and those very masculine facial features; thick eyebrows and a square jaw, that weirdly was always stubbled.

"Thank you very much" I said, not being able to keep the sarcasm out of my voice.  He chuckled again.  I had a distinct feeling that he was making fun of me.

"You could avoid missing her if only you'd agree" he said, and gone was the funny charming Nick.  This was Nick the lawyer speaking.  The tone was serious and compelling.

I shook my head.  "I cannot.  Please go find some other girl.  You are the most sought after bachelor now that Damian is totally in love with his wife!  You'll get anyone you want" I said and turned to walk away.  It was true after all.  He was one of the most successful lawyer of all time and he was only 28!  He might be a foreigner, but he was indeed considered one of their own by the high society. 

Determined to force myself out of this mood and enjoy my friend's wedding, I plastered on a smile and walked inside.  I had only gotten to five steps when Nick's hand encircled around my waist and he hugged me from behind. 

"What the hell!" I cursed and tried to wriggle free.  How the hell could he hold me still with only one arm?

His head bent down to behind my ear.  "I might find some other girl, but none of them have this effect on me" he said, his breath had a faint smell of champagne, but what more was startling was how hot he sounded.  He suddenly pressed himself against me and I could indeed feel the hardness.

I gasped at the touch and pushed away from him even harder.  He let me go with a chuckle as I scurried inside.  This was not good.  I could not risk getting involved with my own boss!  I could not afford to lose my job, not when I had so much at stake not when this was my means of getting my life back on track.  As I rushed inside, I cursed my luck. While I was used to the male attention, no one had been as crude as him. 

I walked to the washroom and breathed hard.  This could not be happening.  His proposal was absolute nonsense as it was, and now this?  Desiring his own staff!  I shook my head and glanced at the mirror.  Why the hell did I have those typical blonde looks?  Men seemed to find blonde hair and a heart shaped face easy.  As though they could just come and easily woo us and we'll sleep with them.  I took a step back to look at my body.  "You are perfect!" Dimple had once told her.  She had adequate boobs and an okay waist with a reasonable butt.  Then why did men find me so easy?

As I walked back to the reception room, the couple dance had started and Dimple and Damian seemed lost in their little bubble.  Soon enough, other couples were starting to join in.  I watched them, knowing that I might never have that.  But I was not complaining.  I did not have the luxury to fall in love.  I had things to do, a life to turn back on track. 

And I would have been satisfied at that, had I not noticed Nick taking a beautiful brunette by the hand and leading her to the dance floor.  The man was serious drop dead gorgeous but the smile he bestowed on me was mocking. 

He had taken off his tie and opened the very first button of his shirt.  He looked more like a character from an oil painting rather than a lawyer.  I averted my gaze, knowing that he was giving me a mocking smile.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed his hand slip around the brunette's back effortlessly and the brunette visibly whimpered.  The girl looked up at him with an adoration that made me sick, not because of her, but because of Nick's 'you-could-have-been-the-one-dancing-in-my-arm look. 

How very callous of the man!  And to believe the same callous man had asked me out on a date a few months from now.  And before the date started he had had the audacity to tell me he needed a girlfriend for hire, and I fit the picture perfectly.  What the hell was I? Some kind of escort?

"Why are you shooting daggers at him?" I heard Daphne, Dimple's cousin ask, jerking me out of my bubble of hating Nick. She winked and I frowned.  Because he is a jerk and apparently only I can see that?  I sighed.

"Are you interested in him?" Daphne asked and I was horrified.  "What? No!" I replied.

She threw her hands up.  "Oh hey, I was just trying to lighten you up" she said and smiled.  I smiled back.  She was right.  This was a moment to celebrate my best friend's wedding, not mule over how much of a cad Nick could be.

"Wanna dance?" Aron Smith, the steel tycoon extended his hand and I took it.  Everyone was enjoying themselves, maybe I should loosen up and have some fun too.

I bestowed my most brilliant smile at Aron and took his hand.  Tonight was my time to chill.  To have the fun I have not had in years. 

 A/N : Hello guys.  This is the sequel to My Arranged Marriage.  I hope you guys like it.  Please comment and let me know.