Madmax (Part 1)

Lucas, you copy? Dustin's voice came over Lucas's walkie talkie. I've got four quarters. What's your haul?

"Take your puny haul and multiply it by five." Lucas gloated.

How?

"While you were scrounging around like a homeless bum, I mowed Old Man Humphrey's lawn."

Old Man Humphrey's got that kinda cash?

"Just call Mike already."

You call Mike.

"I have to go take a shower from doing real work, like a man. Over and out."

Lucas turned off his radio and got ready to go to the arcade with his friends.

Maybe I should fill you in on what's been happening with this group since the first book.

Well, to begin it is almost one year later since the great vanishing of Will Byers. It has been almost year since they killed the Demogorgon. And last, but certainly not least, it has been almost one year since the boys had last seen Nikki and El (their super powered friends) when they vanished into midair.

Mike, Lucas and Dustin have not gotten over the loss of their new friends but they are grieving differently.

Mike has been on edge and acted like the littlest things could tip them off, which is why the others are always careful about what say in front of him.

Lucas prefers to grieve in silence behind his bedroom door. He's been afraid to grieve in front of his friends after how he treated the girls. So, he preferred just to wait until he was alone.

Dustin, being the fun loving person he is, keeps them in his heart but still tries to go on with life. It doesn't mean that he doesn't miss them, in fact most of the time he wishes they were there but he also learned not to dwell on it too much.

All in all, it has been a tough year for the party all around. And what's better than to escape life than by going to the arcade with your friends?

Answer: Nothing! And the arcade is where our story starts

***

Mike, Lucas and Dustin pulled up to the arcade on their bikes, ready to make new high scores and maybe get in an argument or two.

They parked their bikes and a car horn honked at them. They turned to the car and saw Will waving eagerly at them.

"Hey!" Dustin yelled at him as the others just waved.

They went inside knowing Will would catch up and Dustin and Lucas fought for Dragon's Lair. Dustin ended up getting his quarter in first, letting him start first.

To slay the dragon use the magic sword. The princess directed Dustin.

"Oh, Jesus!" Dustin said to his three friends gathered around him. "I'm in uncharted territory here, guys."

Soon the dragon came on the screen and everybody was talking over one another.

"Down! Down! Down!"

"I'm going! I'm going!"

"Right! Right! Right!"

"I'm going!"

"Run! Run!"

"Okay. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up!" Dustin yelled at them, rolling his eyes.

They all watched as Dustin's character died on the screen and they all sighed.

"No! No! No!" Dustin yelled starting to get angry and kick the game. "I hate this over priced bullshit! Son of a bitch! Piece of shit!"

"You're not nimble enough." Lucas patted his shoulder. "But you'll get there one day. But until then, Princess Daphne is still mine."

"Whatever." Dustin rolled his eyes. "I'm still tops on Centipede and Dig Dug."

"You sure about that." A new voice added in the conversation.

The group turned to who they knew to be Keith. Or if you're Dustin "the most annoying guy in the world". He held a bag of Cheetos Puffs and had a stupid grin on his face.

"Sure about what?" Dustin asked afraid to get an answer.

They watched as Keith ate a Cheetos with a "you already know" look on his face.

Dustin pushed passed the party and ran towards Centipede and Dig Dug. "You're kidding me. No, no, no, no."

He pushed passed other people checking both of the machines where he now had the second highest score.

"No! No!" He yelled at the name Madmax.

"751,300 points!" Will read off the screen with wide eyes.

"That's impossible." Mike gaped at the number on the machine.

"Who is Mad Max?" Dustin asked Keith angrily.

"Better than you." Keith replied, getting the finger from Dustin.

"Is it you?" Will asked making Keith scoff.

"You know I despise Dig Dug."

"Then who is it?" Lucas asked impatiently.

"Yeah, spill it, Keith." Dustin demanded.

"You want information, then I need something in return." Keith smiled sickly and turned to Mike.

Everyone else turned his way also making his eyes go big as he shook his head. "No, no, no. No way. You're not getting a date with her."

"Mike, come on." Lucas said wanting to know who Mad Max was. "Just get him the date."

"I'm not prostituting my sister!" Mike yelled at Lucas.

"But it's for a good cause."

"No, don't get him the date. Know what?" Dustin shook his head before turning to face Keith once again. "He's gonna spread his nasty-ass rash to your whole family."

"Acne isn't a rash and it isn't contagious, you prepubescent wastoid." Keith argued looking slightly offended.

"Oh, I'm a wastoid? She wouldn't go on a date with you. You make, like, what? $2.50 an hour?"

"Nice perm."

"Gonna make fun of my hair?"

Lucas laughed quietly at how stupid the argument was getting. Everything seemed almost normal for him. It was almost normal.

So how come normal didn't seem as great to him anymore?

Authors note
New book people, who's excited?

I am, that's for sure! I can't wait for you guys to see what I have planned!

Love ya!! ❤️❤️❤️