twenty-six

The next day, Ruby and her friends went to visit the Moniyan Empire like Lesley had said they would. Ruby couldn't help being nervous about it. She hadn't seen the Lightborn squad for ages. Except for Harith, of course. And, she didn't know why, but she sort of wanted to see Alucard. Her feelings for him had long since faded away, but sometimes she still wanted to be friends with the guy. He was a pretty fun person. 

As they were walking, Ruby sidled up to Kagura. 'Are you looking forward to seeing them?' she asked her friend curiously, glancing at her. 

Kagura gave her an inquisitive look and shrugged. 'Meh. A little. I mean, aside from their rank, we hardly know anything about them.'

Aside from Harith and Alucard, whom Ruby had known really well at some point, what Kagura said was right. Besides, Harith and Alucard's real selves were both too goofy for Ruby to see them as the saviors of Moniyan. 'That's true,' admitted Ruby.  

As usual, they found Silvanna, Granger and Alucard at the center of the Imperial Palace, standing around a huge table in a center which Silvanna and Granger were seated at. Knowing Tigreal and Fanny, they were probably busy with work  again. Alucard was merely leaning against one side with his arms folded, looking bored. Ruby couldn't help being proud of herself for hardly feeling anything even when their gazes met involuntarily. 

His eyes widened in shock. 'Ruby, you're back?' he said in disbelief, pushing himself off the table and running towards her hurriedly. Before Ruby knew it, he was hugging her, making her stumble backwards in surprise. She didn't do anything but remain still as he squeezed her tightly, disorientated and not knowing how to react. She let out a breath she'd been holding when he finally let go and took a step back.

'I'm so glad you're fine,' he said to her, smiling a little shyly and sheepishly. For a moment, Ruby forced herself not to crack a smile even though she could tell the relief and gratitude on his face was genuine, but then she gave in and returned his slightly awkward smile, averting her gaze from his. 

'I'm glad to see you, too,' Ruby replied cheerily, not knowing if her words were sincere or not. Probably a little more than she wanted to admit. 

'I know you probably won't believe me, but when I heard that you and your friends had been kidnapped, I freaked out. I really thought you might be...' Alucard angled his face away, his expression dark. However, a scant second later, he turned back to her with a wide smile. 'That's why I'm glad all of you are okay. Especially you, Ruby. Don't you dare get yourself kidnapped again.'

Ruby wanted to spit at him, if you really cared so much, you would've followed your brother to come and save me, but resisted the urge to do so. Silvanna and Granger were there too, after all. Saying something like that to Alucard, right in front of them, probably wouldn't end well. 

Silvanna and Granger stood up from their seats, their faces filled with wonder. 'Lesley, you went to rescue them?' she asked, sounding awed but still a little disapproving. Not having seen Silvanna for a long time, Ruby was couldn't help being shocked by the slight resemblance of their facial features. Their hair was the same pale blonde, too.

'Yeah,' answered Lesley. She turned to Harley and placed her hands on his shoulders, steering him forwards. 'This guy helped me, too,' she told them.

Harith fidgeted frantically, looking alarmed. The rest of the Lightborn Squad had already began to stare at him murderously. 'So that's where you went, Harith?' demanded Granger, looking angry. 

Ruby was surprised. They hadn't known about it at all? Silently, she shot Lesley an uneasy glance. 

Before he could say any more, though, Silvanna cut him off. 'Gods, Harith, you really have to stop running off like that. I can't believe you dared put yourself in so much danger without telling anyone where you'd gone.'