six

The girl - or elf - who'd just arrived was slender and beautiful, and much to Ruby's relief, not much taller than her in height. She had magnificent, dark pink hair and matching pink eyes. There seemed to be a devious young woman hiding beneath all her feigned innocence and beauty, and Ruby disliked her immediately. Or maybe she simply distrusted her. Ruby didn't know herself anymore.

'Oh come on, Prince, you don't need to sound so harsh,' said the elf girl - Selena - with a coy smile that annoyed Ruby greatly, for whatever reason. 'I was looking for you. You should be grateful.'

Dyrroth appeared to be looking anywhere but at her. When he spoke, his voice was cold. 'You're not supposed to be here, Selena. And don't you dare think I believe you came all the way out here just to search for me.' He finally met Selena's eyes, and Ruby was slightly mind-blown when the girl didn't so much as flinch under that piercing gaze. 'You're planning something. Again.'

Selena huffed out a reluctant laugh. 'Do you really think I'm such a sly person, my Prince?' She pouted playfully. Ruby gritted her teeth. Everything about Selena got on her nerves, although she didn't know why. 'Me and the others just decided to start the fun early.'

Ruby caught the way Dyrroth's expression turned to stone. 'What?' he asked, a sharp edge to his voice. 'What fun? Whenever you say something like that, it's something I don't approve of.'

Selena rolled her eyes dramatically. 'We're going to destroy the village, obviously. I warned you that I might do so if my patience was wearing thin.'

Ruby's entire being froze on the spot.

The mild annoyance in Dyrroth's face snapped into something much more menacing. 'What?'

Ruby's heart began to race. She curled her trembling hands into fists. No. What that evil elf girl had said couldn't be true. Dread curdled in her gut, along with the realisation that she may have just failed to protect her village from its doom.

A mirthless laugh threatened to claw its way out of her throat. Well well. After years, she was still a useless, feeble little girl wielding an oversized scythe, prancing around as if she knew what she was doing, and now even her weapon was gone.

Or maybe she was being a little too pessimistic. Ruby reckoned Dyrroth would know roughly where her scythe had ended up when he'd slapped it out of her hand. She could retrieve it...and then go and fend off the demons.

'Selena, what have you done?' Dyrroth's voice sounded distant to her, as if he and Selena were part of another dimension.

'Why're you so concerned about those pathetic humans all of a sudden?' asked Selena snidely. 'I thought you were looking forward to burning the village down. Come have fun with us. What're you doing out here in the first place?'

Dyrroth glared, agitated. 'I told you I'd be looking for the hunter girl. She's the only capable fighter in her village, we obviously have to get rid of her first.'

Ruby stared down at the grass that surrounded her feet, eyes empty. She wouldn't be surprised if Dyrroth had been manipulating her, too. Her life seemed to have been solely made up of lies, both her own and those of the people around her. What made her feel nearly ten times worse was the faint whiff of smoke in the air, like something faraway was burning. There was a very big chance that thing was her village.

'And?' Selena placed a hand on her hip, quirking an eyebrow in impatience. 'Have you found her?'

Dyrroth kept his face completely impassive. 'No, I haven't.'

'I thought you mentioned something about telling one of the villagers to lure her out by saying there were wolves.' Ruby's entire soul jolted again. So Reina had been...

The prince let off a flippant shrug. 'I dunno. I've searched for quite a while, and I haven't seen her,' he said, acting a little annoyed. Ruby had to admit, his lies were convincing. She was a pretty good liar herself. 'It's weird. I'll just look around for a while more, and catch up with you later.'

Selena seemed a little disappointed. 'Oh, alright then.' Suddenly, her gaze sharpened, and there was something malevolent lurking in her pink eyes. 'If you do find her, please just kill her already. You've been paying so much attention to that human girl recently - don't waste your time.' That made Ruby hate her even more. She didn't know if it was her imagination, but Selena sounded sort of salty.

Dyrroth dragged a hand through his already tousled hair. Ruby had to admit he looked really good when he did that. 'Whatever. Go,' he said, sounding bored. Selena waved at him before turning away and running off - towards her village, Ruby realised with a feeling of dread. The smell of smoke in the air was so much stronger than before. This was bad.

Once Selena was far enough from them, Dyrroth spun around to look at the tree Ruby was hiding behind. Ruby stepped out from behind it before he could ask her to, her gleaming emerald eyes hard. She had some questions that needed answering.

The prince opened his mouth to speak, but Ruby cut him off rather determinedly. 'Answer my question first. Why the Hell did you indirectly protect me?' she demanded. 'And answer it quick. I need to protect my village from your stupid demons.'

Much to her frustration, a corner of Dyrroth's lips lifted in amusement. 'I was being nice, Ruby. It's not something I do often, so appreciate it.' And then his smile wilted just like that, the humour completely disappearing from his face. 'And, for your information, I never ordered my people to destroy your village. It's just Selena that always thinks she's in charge.'

'Save it, Prince. I want you to answer my question properly.' Ruby crossed her arms over her chest, eyes narrowed. She wasn't all that confident on the inside. She just wanted Dyrroth to give her question a proper answer so she wouldn't feel as though she owed him. And she'd called him Prince because, well, what else was she supposed to call him? Dyrroth? Absolutely not.

Dyrroth quirked an eyebrow inquisitively. That annoying smirk returned. 'Did you just call me Prince?' he teased softly. 'Just call me Dyrroth, I'm fine with it.' Oh, you've got to be kidding me.

Ruby gritted her teeth. Do NOT blush. You are absolutely NOT allowed to blush, she silently yelled at herself. 'Fine. Dyrroth. Whatever. Don't avoid my question!' God, calling him that felt weird.

Dyrroth's infuriating smirk only broadened at her indignation. 'Look, I'm sorry, Ruby. I have to go. And isn't your village in trouble?' he said.

Ruby sucked in a frustrated breath through clenched teeth. How on Earth had this nuisance become the Prince of the Abyss? 'Fine. I'll go. But first, where the Hell did you throw my scythe just now?' She shot him a threatening glare. 'If you don't know where it is, I am going to kill you with my bare hands.'

He blinked. 'Isn't it there?' he asked, nodding towards several bushes that lay not far from Ruby's feet. There was something silver protruding from underneath the dark green leaves.

Oh.

 With as much dignity as she could muster, Ruby walked over briskly to retrieve her scythe. She would've thanked him if he weren't the Prince of the Abyss, but unfortunately, he was.

'Ruby,' he called suddenly, his slightly somber tone making her turn to look at him. The expression on his face was regretful but firm. 'Be careful. And if you can't save them...' His eyes hardened. 'Save yourself.'

His words made her heart feel warm. Ruby didn't know what it was that compelled her to respond to him, nor the reason why she didn't find his kindness suspicious. 'I don't know why you care so much, Dyrroth,' she said, meeting his steady gaze with one of her own, 'but I will.'

And, as she turned away from him, the ghost of a small smile whispered across her lips.

Aaaaaah I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter, it took me so long to write T-T 

Once again, thanks for reading my story! <3