twenty-nine

The following day, it was announced to the civilians of Moniyan, who'd thankfully managed to remain safe throughout the war, that the victory had been Moniyan's. Although the front of the Imperial Palace was all but ruins, there was a certain air of relief that surrounded everyone the following morning, the light of dawn warm and calming, almost as if signifying the beginning of a new, peaceful era. 

They'd managed to retrieve Prince Aurelius, formerly addressed as the Prince of the Abyss, who'd been kidnapped and turned into a demon when he was only a baby. Now, he had reverted back into a human, and all was well again. He would be crowned Prince of Moniyan as soon as his condition was stable again, and his sister Silvanna, the Imperial Knightess, would no longer have to endure the pain she'd felt deep inside her since the day the demons had taken her brother from her. 

Although there had been many casualties on Moniyan's side, the amount only exceeded the previous war's casualties by less than a hundred, and many more demons had fallen during the battle. The Abyss hadn't fully lost its power yet, for many demons had instantly escaped the very moment they'd seen their Prince fall, but the civilians of Moniyan could rest assured that the demons wouldn't launch an attack on any other lands for a long time. 

Overall, the war had had a good outcome, better than anyone could've asked for. However, things were different for Ruby.

---

Ruby woke with a start.

There were thin rays of soft golden light spilling through the half-transparent pink curtains, painting the white walls of the room she was in a slight yellow. Ruby rubbed her eyes and blinked the sleep from them, letting out a yawn. 

Then looked around her. 

Wait, where am I?

That was when she attempted to sit up, and was rewarded with an unbearable, agonizing pain in her waist. 

Ruby let out a cry and immediately fell back down onto the fluffy pillow behind her. Just then, she remembered, reminded by the newly discovered wound in her gut, where probably was. 

Slowly, she observed her surroundings once more, and it became clear to her that she was lying in a hospital. What had happened...? Was the war over yet?

That was when she remembered. Oh. 

She'd had a spear thrown at her, and had nearly bled to death trying to...do what? Defend Dyrroth from her own allies? If she had, that most definitely meant she was deemed a traitor by them now. 

Ruby let out a sigh, covering her eyes with her forearm. She didn't know what she was going to tell them to convince them she wasn't secretly on the Abyss' side. The truth, perhaps. She doubted someone like Silvanna wouldn't believe her if she told them the truth. That she'd fallen in love, both willingly and unwillingly, with Dyrroth.

Just then, the door opened with the creak, and although Ruby was startled, she stopped herself from instinctively trying to sit upright this time. A nurse with beautiful blonde curls, who looked distinctly familiar, stepped into the room. Ruby recognized her to be Rafaela, the nurse she'd heard could heal in the blink of an eye.

'Oh, you're awake?' she asked, her voice gentle, a soft smile gracing her lips. 

'Um...' said Ruby, immensely awkward. 'Yeah.'

'That's good to know.' Rafaela walked over to where she was resting, seemingly checking her condition. 

'Uh...actually, can I ask you a question? How long have I been unconscious?' Ruby couldn't help being worried.