nine

The next morning, Ruby and her friends visited the Moniyan Empire together to report what had become of Ruby's village. Poor Ruby hadn't gotten a wink of sleep. She hadn't felt this drowsy in what seemed like a year. 

They'd met up with Silvanna, Tigreal, Granger, Fanny and Alucard - Ruby had tried her best to act as though he weren't there, although he kept shooting her furtive sympathetic looks. They'd also very awkwardly handed over a grumpy Harith to the heroes of Moniyan, who'd apparently thought he'd been abducted. Ruby and her friends had very, very pointedly turned to look at Harley, who'd long since vanished from sight. 

The Lightborn squad was stony-faced as they listened to Ruby's explanation of what had happened to her village. She tried very hard to leave out the part where Dyrroth had spoken to her, and protected her. They would think she was cavorting with the enemy. She made it seem like she'd overheard a conversation between Dyrroth and Selena - although it made her insides churn with dissatisfaction and contempt - and said she'd eavesdropped on their conversation till they mentioned a plan to destroy her village, and when she'd arrived at her village to help she'd been too late.

It was remarkably convincing, and Ruby took great pride in that. Once she'd finished telling her story, the heroes of Moniyan remained silent for a moment, the tension in the room increasing tenfold. Except Harith, of course, who'd heard the true story long ago and was merely watching his comrades' gullibility with not-so-subtle amusement. 

'I have to say,' stated Fanny, breaking the ice at last, 'The Prince of the Abyss succeeded in catching us off guard this time. We totally didn't expect him to strike so soon, considering the amount of orcs and demons who died during their failed attack on Moniyan.'

Ruby couldn't help finding the tone of voice Fanny used when she said 'Prince of the Abyss' slightly weird. She made Dyrroth sound like someone undesirable and merciless, when Ruby knew from experience that he was nothing but a typical annoying teenage boy.

'I hate to admit it, but you're right,' agreed Granger grimly. 'He managed to catch us unawares.' His eyes briefly flickered towards the tall, well-built man beside him. 'What do you think we should do, Tigreal?'

'It's obvious, isn't it? We need to put up defenses in the other cities located in the North-Eastern lands,' answered Tigreal, his tone somber and humourless. 

'Um,' said Ruby uncertainly, hating how feeble she sounded. She tried to mask her insecurity with nonchalance. 'No offense, I know you're an expert strategist and everything, but don't you think putting up defenses there is exactly what the Prince of the Abyss would expect us to do? He's pretty quick-witted. I think he'll go for the cities located in other lands. We should set up our defenses there.' 

Tigreal's brows furrowed in concentration. Alucard shot her a bright smile, looking distinctly proud. 'Gosh, Ruby. You're such a smart-ass, I can hardly follow what you're saying,' he said, huffing out a laugh.

Ruby didn't let a single trace of a smile cross her face. She was way past falling for his stupid pretty face and pretense sweetness. She knew better now. Ruby wondered what Alucard would say if he found out about her uncanny camaraderie with the evil prince who'd nearly wiped out the entire population of his hometown. The thought made a giggle bubble through her.

Kagura, who'd instantly noticed Ruby's cold reaction towards Alucard's compliment with those X-Ray eyes of hers, decided to help her out. 'She's always been a genius, Alucard. Can't believe you just realised,' said Kagura idly, inspecting her fingernails with great interest.

'Right, guys, back to the urgent matters,' said Silvanna loudly to get everyone's attention. She looked from person to person, a calculating gleam in her eyes. 'I'm afraid you will have to leave, for I wish to discuss about our plans with the rest of the Lightborn Squad, and them alone. Please don't think I distrust you guys.' She shot them a fleeting smile.