The new guy

The shift starts off like any other day a few small calls here and there, but otherwise a pretty calm day. Of course they would never say the c-word out loud because the second they did all hell would break loose. As Buck was considering this concept while working out, he heard commotion from the locker room.

When he emerges he finds the team huddled and pointing towards a young man around bucks age. The young man they all seem so interested in slowly slides off his shirt to put his uniform on. When he does so Buck's breath hinders, but he immediately shakes it off.

"Who the hell is that", Buck complains as he breaks his eyes away from the mans body.
"The new recruit", Bobby states

Buck huffs angrily, and storms off
"What's his problem", hen says looking at Chim.
"I don't know", Chim says uncertainty 

Before the conversation can get any further the alarms go off. They head to the rig, and climb in. The call they respond to is a car crash on a major highway.
When they reach the crash they are greeted with a grizzly sight. Three cars piled on top of one another. A man who was thrown through the windshield covered in glass and bleeding.
"Ok", Bobby says as calmly as he can, "Chim handle the guy covered in glass"
"Copy that cap", Chim says as he heads to the man.
"Buck, Eddie search for survivors in the car"
"Yes cap", Eddie says
So that's his name, buck thinks to himself, Eddie. Buck shakes the weird feeling that crawls through his body once again.
Buck, and Eddie run to the first car, one driver two passengers all DOA. Buck sighs in disappointment earning a thoughtful look from Eddie.
"What are you looking at", Buck says while moving to the next car.
"Nothing", Eddie says as he shrugs.

The next car is a little more hopeful, they hear a young girl crying from the backseat. However the driver is pinned by her steering wheel. Buck is going to check the drivers vitals when he hears a small groan slip her lips. "Eddie" Buck yells, "this ones still alive"
Eddie races over to see Buck grabbing a saw. " What are you doing", Eddie says quickly, "don't remove the pressure it's the only thing holding her together".
Buck looks down in horror as he sees the women bleeding out of a huge hole in her abdomen.
"I- I didn't see it", Buck says in defeat.
"Yeah clearly", Eddie says as he gets to work.
Buck stumbles back, and goes to check on the little girl. He breaks the window away from the girl to get the door unlocked. He carefully grabs the small child, and brings her to Hen who is waiting by the ambulance.

Buck runs back to help Eddie with, who he assumes is the little girls mother. When he reaches them Eddie has her out of the car, and the bleeding under control. Eddie looks at Buck in a way he can't quite decipher, as he carries the mother to Hen like Buck did with the small girl.
"Will she be ok", Eddie ask tentatively
"Thanks to you she will be" Hen responds before riding off in the back of the ambulance.

"Good save Eddie", Bobby says with a slap on the back.
"Just doing my job cap",  Eddie says.
Buck rolls his eyes at that.

When they get back to the station Buck heads straight to the showers to wash away the previous call, and all that it entailed. He hates Eddie. He was here first so why does Eddie get to show up and the team instantly likes him. Ya buck hates Eddie.

•••
That night Buck lays in bed thinking over the day he just had. I'm a good firefighter Buck thinks to himself. What does that guy have that I don't.  Sure he's fit, and has good hair, but. Buck stops himself there, what is he even doing. His next shift starts early the next morning, he should get some sleep. Buck rolls over, and sleep takes him fast. He didn't realize how tired he was.

When he walks into the station the next day he's greeted with stares from everyone. Buck begins to feel self conscious not understanding why everyone is so focused on him. Buck heads to the locker room to change into his uniform. He takes his shirt off without realizing that Eddie is standing right beside him. Buck tries to act nonchalant while changing, but notices Eddie looking him straight in the eyes while taking his shirt off. Buck can't look away from the other mans body. What the hell he thinks to himself. But doesn't budge. Soon the mans whole upper body is bare. Buck realizes he isn't breathing, he's been holding his breath so tightly he feels he might pass out. Eddie continues to look buck in the eyes while he puts his uniform on. Buck finally looks away when he hears the alarm go off.

They respond to a house fire, three kids trapped in the attic. Buck is still dumb struck from what happened in the locker room.
"Buck", Bobby yells, "focus, we have kids we need to save".
Buck snaps out of it and responds, " Yes cap"

"Ok", Bobby says, "The house is still stable enough to enter, we may want to go through the roof to reach the attic. Buck I need you and Eddie to grapple down through the roof over the garage. This is dangerous, so proceed with caution."
"Yes cap", Eddie and Buck say in unison.

The fire started in the basement, and the flames haven't reached the attic yet, but time is running out while Buck, and Eddie work to make a hole in the roof. Suddenly Eddie looks at Buck horrified as they feel the roof shift. Buck falls straight through hearing Eddie yell his name before he looses consciousness.

Buck doesn't know how long he had been out when he finally comes too. He looks around smoke fogging his vision. A small hand taps his back, and he whips around to see three children huddled, and crying. Buck finally understands where he is again. He grabs his radio and says, "Does anyone copy, I found them, I found the kids!" No response, "Does anyone copy!" He says again panic taking over.

He hears static on the other end and finally hears a response, "Buck we copy, we copy Buck" It's Chim.
"We're coming for you", another voice says. This time it was Eddie.
Buck smiled at the sound of his voice, but caught himself, this is not the time he thought.
"Ok", Buck said, "hurry" the radio cut out.
At this point the flames had reached the attic, and the only way out, for him and the children, was up.
Buck looks up, but doesn't see the whole he fell through the smoke has completely covered them. He has to get the children out, and fast. He stands up and feels around until he finally find the opening. He can't put the children in the roof it's too risky, it could collapse at any moment. He has to think of another way, and he has to do it now. Then it hits him.
He grabs the radio and tries to reach the team, "Cap", Buck says panicked, "I have an idea, please tell me you copy".
"I copy Buck", the response gives him hope he can make it out.
"Ok", Buck says, "I have a plan, bring the basket above the hole in the roof, and send down a harness. Do it now"
"Ok", Bobby says, "We're doing it now"
Buck sighs he's gonna save these kids. He sees the harness drop, and hooks up the first kid. In the basket the kid is greeted by a smiling Eddie. Buck sees the harness come down again, and sends the second kid up to Eddie. As he is about to send up the third the floor of the attic falls through sending buck down again. The kid follows. Buck grasp him to shield him from the fall.
In the basket Eddie wonders why the next kid isn't coming up. His heart drops as he runs the worst case scenario through his head. Eddie calls down to Cap saying that something is wrong.
Cap radios Buck, "Buck do you copy, Buck! Buck!" No response. The team is beginning to panic.

Back in this house Buck hits the ground hard, disoriented he looks for the child. He hears a small cry from the corner. He scrambled to the child, and holds him tight. His radio broke in the fall. The flames are surrounding him, but he sees an exit. A hint of light, he scoops up the child and runs for it. He busts out the front door the child wrapped in his jacket. He hands the boy to Hen, and Chim before he drops. Eddie is behind him in no time wrapping him up in a tight embrace. Before Buck even knows what's happening he looses consciousness in Eddie's arms.