Brave

TW: violence, shooting
Eddie's POV
The dinner was awkward especially with Buck's sister watching everything he did.
But he stayed true to his promise, to stay away from Buck until these feelings leave.
He's not naive he knows that he can't control feelings, but he can control how he acts and that's exactly what he plans to do. He doesn't allow Buck to be a part of his thoughts anymore.

Eddie's shift starts in twenty minutes , but he is already at the station getting changed. Carla showed up early today to give him extra time, but he just wanted to work, to distract himself.
Bobby is the next to show up, simply waving with a worried look on his face.
"What's up?" Eddie asks.
"Oh it's nothing just Athena had a difficult case that has kept her up all night," Bobby replies shaking his head.
Eddie looks at Bobby with a sympathetic look.
Bobby shakes his head again looking back at Eddie, "how are you feeling?"
Eddie knows by the look on Bobby's face what he's talking about. He has seen the teams looks of worry towards him, and Buck.
"I'm fine," Eddie answers slapping a smile on his face.
"Ok," Bobby answers a sense of suspicion in his voice.
Before Eddie can counter the suspicion Buck turns the corner, Eddie freezes. He sees Buck drop his head to avoid eye contact. Eddie feels a twang in his chest, but he brushes it off, and straightens up.

The shift officially starts in 10 minutes, but the whole team is there so they switch over for the previous shift.
They eat breakfast as a team, quietly compared to most mornings. Everyone is a bit on edge.

The alarm goes off and they go out onto a call.
They are responding to an accident on highway 82. A car swerved into the lane next to it, causing many cars to break and slam into the one's in front of them. There are a few other stations arriving on scene.
Approximately 12 vehicles were involved in the crash, the 118 are put in charge of the first 3. Bobby begins yelling out assignments, "Chim, Hen take the SUV over there. Buck, Eddie take the Mazda that's flipped to the left. Everyone go!"
The team scurries to where they are needed. The flipped car trapped two victims a teenage female, and a middle aged man. Buck checks on the young girl, and Eddie rushes to the man.
"She's alive," Eddie hears Buck shout. Checking the male, he doesn't catch a pulse at first, he tries again, "I have a pulse over here too!" Eddie yells.
"She's stuck under here pretty good Eddie," Buck yells back.
Assessing the situation Eddie calls to Buck, "I think I can get him out easily, his pulse is thready, I think we should start over here.
A few seconds pass before Buck answers, "ok let's make this fast so we can save both of them."
Buck runs over and helps Eddie free the man from the drivers seat. The two roll him over onto the board. "On three," Eddie says, "1..2..3."
The two men lift locking eyes for just a moment, a moment was enough for Eddie, his heart pounded.
The two handed the man off to the closest ambulance available before rushing back to the young  girl.
"She's gonna be more difficult," Eddie says.
"Ya obviously," Buck snaps back.
Eddie tries to shake it off focusing back on the girl.
Buck grabs the jaws of life to attempt to pull the girl from the car.
It works, the two manage to free the girl, however they notice she is no longer breathing. Buck's face drops, he begins performing CPR on the girl.
Eddie sees the panic in Buck's face as he desperately tries to bring the girl back.
The girl inhales sharply, coughing, the EMT's quickly take over. Eddie looks at Buck to congratulate him, but Buck doesn't look happy, in fact he's crying. It hurts Eddie to see him like this, more than he can express. He wants to hug him, tell him everything is going to be ok. But he can't, he just can't.
So he stands up, and walks away instead of telling the man he loves that it's ok.

The rest of the day goes on without Eddie, and Buck interacting.
Suddenly Eddie gets a horrible feeling, then the alarms go off. He's sick to his stomach something is wrong, very wrong. He pulls himself together and gets into the rig, still feeling sick.
Bobby's face confirms his suspicions, "Eddie," Bobby says as if choosing his words carefully, "we are responding to a call at your sons school, there isn't much information, but it doesn't sound good."
Eddie looks around desperately hoping this is all a big joke, but no one's laughing.
"Eddie we need to know you can handle this, can you handle this?"
Eddie tries to take a deep breath he needs to be there, "yes, I can handle this," he says trying to hide the panic in his voice.
They arrive at the school, there are SWAT cars, police cars and multiple other stations. Eddie can't breath, this is bad.
He feels a hand on his shoulder, it's Buck's, he whips around, and lets Buck hold him for a moment before backing up, and taking a deep breath.
The chief of police walk over to explain the situation to them.
"There is a gunman inside the building, there are reports of shots fired, and teachers have communicated to us reporting injuries."
Eddie is shaking, hard. Chris is in there, is he ok, he has to be ok, he has to be ok.
"We are still trying to figure out the situation inside, and we need you on standby."
"We understand," Bobby says.
The chief walks away and Eddie drops to his knees, the panic taking over fully. He can't breath.
Buck grabs him, and stands him up right, "Eddie, Eddie look at me, he will be ok."
"How do you know that, how Buck?!"
"I don't, but we will make sure that he is."
Eddie's legs give out again, Buck catches him, holding him up.
"Eddie, we need you're full attention for this, I know it's your son, but we need you." Bobby calls.
Eddie pulls himself together, not yet ready to let go of Buck.
"I'm ok cap." Eddie says from Buck's arms.
Bobby nods.
He finally allows Buck to release him backing away.
Boom! Shots fired, Boom Boom. One after another. "Everyone down!" he hears the chief of police scream. He lunges at Buck, just as the explosion goes off. He shields Buck's head from the rubble flying everywhere.
When the chaos settles Eddie shoots up, watching children rush from the building. Before thinking he takes off, fast.
"Chris," he screams, "Chris!" He can't breath, he can't think.  
He sees Chris's teacher herding children from the building.
"My son, Chris, have you seen him."
He sees the recognition on her face, "I'm sorry Eddie, he got lost in the flood of children."
Eddie wants to scream at her for loosing his son, his disabled son.
He knows his son is strong, but he cannot loose him, he just can't.
He has to get in there, he runs back to the engine where the rest of the team is already geared up.
"Find Chris," he yells, "please, I'm coming right behind you, please!"
The team nods before running off, he sees Buck hang back.
"Go, please," Eddie yells.
Buck does.
Eddie changes as fast as he can.
Finally in gear he sprints to the school.
He hears a groan from a classroom on his left, it's a young girl, probably only 5 years old.
She has been shot in the leg. He picks up the small girl, bringing her to safety, she cries holding tight to Eddie's chest. He's desperate to get back in the school, and look for Chris.
He lays the girl gently on a gerny, and whispers, "everything is going to be ok."
She finally lets go nodding.
He runs back into the school, suddenly the world slows as he sees Buck running by with Chris in his arms.
"Chris," he screams, "Chris!"
He runs out behind Buck, he watches as Chris is loaded into an ambulance.
He drops, again this time not holding back his tears, he sobs into his hands.
He feels the same hand on his shoulder. He stands up grabbing Buck in his hands, "thank you for saving my son, thank you," he sobs.
Buck wraps his arms around Eddie, "of course, I told you he was gonna be ok, I told you."
This man is perfect.
He knows that Buck doesn't care that he is a man. Honestly Eddie doesn't care either, he's just scared, scared of what people are going to say.
But he wants to be brave, he wants to be brave for Buck.
Maybe that's all that matters.

Alright this chapter was strangely hard to write I really wanted to capture Eddie's struggle with loving Buck, as well as how much his son Chris means to him. This is the turning point in my story that I was looking for. I hope you liked it let me know in the comments what you think.
As always thanks for the support xx.