#12: Preparation

Gentle candlelight was illuminating the room. Not a sound could be heard, excepted for the repetitive tick-tock of the clock. It was silent, calm, yet anything but peaceful.

Levi was once again laying on his bed, awaiting a slumber that probably wouldn't come until morning. In his head, confusion was the main theme.

A thousand questions he'd been pondering about since earlier were left unanswered, giving him one hell of a headache. Worst of all, he wasn't even thinking about who could have possibly killed Hange's puppets. Rather, he was wondering what the hell was going on in Erwin's mind.

Ever since they'd met, Levi had quickly realized that even if Erwin had a higher position than him, the both of them were equals. One with stupid, overwhelming strength and a harsh personality, the other with outstanding intelligence, leadership, and a softer but firm tone. They balanced each other, and their relationship had always been based on mutual respect.

Ever since they'd gained trust in each other, he'd seen his blond counterpart as a reliable, composed man whose judgment was absolute no matter the outcome; but for the first time in a long, long while, Levi was doubting him.

Deep down, he knew that Erwin was being reasonable, but he couldn't shake the nagging suspicion that something was gonna go extremely wrong for him.

[Y/N] was going to work with the support team as a field opener, and then tag along with the Ackerman girl. He knew both of them were stupidly skilled, and yet, he couldn't help but to be hyper-focused on the young woman he'd been working with recently.

Unlike his taller blond comrade, Levi was not a man that knew and analyzed each one of his feelings. He kept them locked away, hard to reach. He didn't have the faintest clue what was going on with him, and it was seriously starting to piss him off.

This wasn't good, he needed to pull himself together before tomorrow. He couldn't keep letting his mind wander back to one person when his squad, and most importantly the titan kid, were counting on him. He had to figure out a way to go back to how his focus was before...

...Before he'd met her.

~~~

A single cup of black tea was put in front of her. Looking up from her plate, [Y/N] met eyes with grey, seemingly bored orbs.

"Levi?" She questioned. He'd never brought her tea before.

"You always take earl grey in the morning, so I figured I'd just bring it to you," he said, taking his seat besides her.

"You really are observant," she said, smiling faintly. "Thanks."

"Tch," said the shorter man, his tone turning softer. "Just drink it before it gets cold, okay?"

From the other side of the table, a curious yellowish brown gaze was observing the both of them. Petra was sitting there, lost in her own thoughts, her hunger suddenly being tamed as an uneasy feeling creeped up in her stomach.

Over the last few days, she'd had her shares of suspicions about the relationship between her captain and [Y/N]. By now, she was pretty sure she was right:

Levi was developing feelings for the woman.

Never in her life had she seen him let himself get attached to a cadet this fast, much less one that had just freshly graduated. The first-name basis, the playful chatter, the damn tea, all of it was obvious if you knew the captain well.

He'd never treated her that way.

Petra had never really debunked what kind of feelings she had towards the cool-tempered man. Actual romantic attraction or just strong admiration? She'd never found the answer herself. But she did know one thing: if there was one person that deserved happiness, it sure as hell was him.