#24: Anguish

The following morning, [Y/N] and the others arrived at the tour's ruins in the middle of a complete disaster. Vapor impregnated with the scent of dying titans as the monsters were still raging, trying eat what looked like one of their own. A human figure was on the side, kneeling on the ground.

Before anyone could react, [Y/N] jumped from up from her horse, slaughtering three titans in one blow, not even bothering to trigger her gear.

As the others looked in astonishment, Levi took off, flinging himself into action. He spun on himself, effectively killing a few beasts. Prompted by the actions of their lance corporal, the rest of them soon joined in.

"YAOUH," [Y/N] heard Eren yell in the distance. "My first kill!"

For a split second, she smiled to herself.

Soon enough, the titans were no more, and the scenery was heart-wrenching.

Bits and pieces of scout uniforms were scattered here and there, along with pools upon pools of human blood. A massacre had occurred here the night before.

If only they'd gotten there sooner.

Someone nudged her shoulder.

"[Y/N]," Oluo said, voice unsure. "You might want to come and see this."

"Don't hurt her! She's on our side!" a voice cried out, one that [Y/N] recognized as Christa's.

Coming back to her sense, she walked over to where Hange was kneeling with her blonde comrade. Laying on the ground was the passed out body of the one and only Ymir, who had a missing leg and titan marks on her face.

Ymir? A titan shifter?

Another one?

Getting sight of her comrade, Christa started speaking frantically again. "[Y/N]! You've gotta believe me! Ymir jumped in there to protect us from the titans!"

"Christa I- Erm- okay..." the young woman replied, dumbfounded. "Let's just take her back to the medics for now, right Hange? And- wait. Us? Are there any other survivors?"

Christa's eyes widened, as if she suddenly remembered something really important. Abruptly, she stood up, pointing to where she had been kneeling while Ymir was fighting.

"There! Medics, go over there!" She yelled, running. "Connie!"

Hearing the name, all present members of the 104th lunged forward.

"Please be okay," [Y/N] whispered to herself while running. "Please be okay."

When they got sight of him, Connie was laying on the ground, eyes closed.

As they got closer, they realized with a jolt that almost his entire left arm was missing.

"CONNIE!" Eren and Armin cried out simultaneously.

[Y/N]'s entire body was frozen in its spot.

She had not seen this coming. Had she failed again? Failed to protect another one of her loved ones?

"He's alive," Hange after kneeling down to take his pulse. "Medics! Take him back now, along with the other unconscious one! Hurry!"

A strong hand gripped Christa's shoulder, scaring the living daylight out of her. Behind her was [Y/N], who didn't even bother to look down at her. Instead, her eyes were still fixated on Connie.

"How?" her strong voice inquired. "How did this happen?"

"I... last night. Last night in the tower, it was just me, Ymir and Connie because the soldiers from Squad Miche had went to fight outside. A titan burst in and he was right in front of the door... I managed to push it back out, but it had already bitten Connie's arm off."