#13: Expedition

The sun was high up in the sky as the scouting regiment was getting ready for the 57th expedition outside the walls. Every soldier was tending to their horse or securing their gear.

After giving her a reassuring shoulder squeeze, Levi had left [Y/N] so he could tend to his squad. "Don't die on me," he had said, his expression unreadable. She'd only been able to nod before he'd disappeared from her sight.

Right now [Y/N] was hurrying her way to the support squad who's open the passage for everyone by eliminating the most titans possible. The most she'd gotten from Erwin before getting to her position was a nod, but his eyes were so firm that they'd washed away a great deal of anxiety.

"Are you [L/N]?"

"Yes sir," replied the young woman, saluting the officer.

"Good. Get over there. You'll be one of the first to go out there."

"Roger!"

After a few minutes of excruciating wait, Erwin delivered a short speech, followed by the signal to go.

"FOR HUMANITY, GIVE YOUR HEARTS!"

~~~

"5, 6, 7..."

[Y/N] was making sure to keep the count of the titans she was taking down. Surprisingly, there weren't as many as she'd expected. In fact, she'd already killed most of the ones that were waiting outside the gate, which was... odd.

She continued following the support squad, cutting a few titans here and there. Their goal was to protect the soldiers that were on horses, always keeping an eye out in case an abnormal would appear or something.

"We're done here," said the leader of the support squad. "[L/N], good luck out there! Everyone else, retreat!"

"Yes, sir!"

The wind was harsh and cold on [Y/N] 's skin as she was flying to her position on odm gear. She soon reached the part she was supposed to be in, an abandoned village they were passing in. Watching from the air to make sure everything was going smoothly, she ended up spotting something huge that was running towards her squadron. It looked female and... blonde?

Getting a flare, she shot the smoke in the air, indicating an abnormal.

Something told her this one was different than the rest of them. It looked alarmingly determined, and she wasn't about to stay there and try to figure out what the thing was about. Her orders were to take out any titan that could threaten the main group, but her gut instinct was telling her straight up that she couldn't take on this one on her own.

[Y/N] took off in a flash. "Soldiers!" She screamed, "Run away! Run, foward, now!"

"What? Cadet, there's-"

"NOW! There's an abnormal we can't take on our own here!"

Just as she said that, said abnormal came in their line of vision, right behind them.

"We'll see about that," said one of the soldiers, smirking. Both him and his partner flew up to try and slice it, but they got taken out in a flash. The first one was crushed, and the second got her odm gear pulled on.

At that moment, it became clear to [Y/N] that the titan was intelligent. It was powerful, and it had a duty. Without thinking, she flew away as fast as she could, but she  wasn't fast enough to outrun the blonde titan. The thing's gigantic hand caught her, tightening around her waist, as well as most of her torso.