Chapter 4

June 19th, 2003
Denton Valley, New York
Sheriff Station

I bit my lip and studied the edge of the table. Not only had I confessed to murder, I had just admitted to breaking and entering and tampering with evidence.

"I'll spare you the details, but Sam and Connor headed off to the nearest records office and public library while the rest of us visited the morgue. Dean agreed with my assessment regarding Ramsey's cause of death and we got a good look at the bodies of the four victims that Sam and Dean mentioned. They looked like textbook ghost killings to me."

"These hunters, Sam and Dean. How long have they been hunting?" Reid asked.

"Most of their lives, more or less. They're experts. They're also troublemakers. I'm sure you recognize them from a previous FBI case. They were involved with this agent, Hendricksen or something like that." Giving up the names of the Winchester boys had been a calculated risk. If everything they had told me was true, the case had some massive holes in it. If the BAU took a closer look, they were bound to realize something was off. "Things didn't end well, but these boys have the best intentions at heart. They do a job that not many others can do, and without them, the world would be a much worse place," I swore adamantly.

Hotchner stepped out the room, presumably to learn more about the Winchesters and the case I'd mentioned.

"But back to the story. We met back up at the bed and breakfast Sam and Dean were staying at. Dean, Travis, and I told Sam and Connor about what we'd seen, and they handed over all the information they'd discovered," I said, refocusing the conversation. "I'm not an expert in ghosts, poltergeists, or spirits, but I cracked that case open in three seconds flat."

June 14th, 2003

Denton Valley, New York

The Red Rose Bed and Breakfast

I studied the photographs Connor and Sam had recovered from the records office. They'd spent the past few hours reviewing the information as we waited for the morgue to clear out and had come up with zilch. I was hoping to speed things along. The more time we wasted chasing around ghosts, the more our attention was torn away from the real problem: Nikovage.

Something about the photos from the records office caught my eye. Well, more accurately, the lack of something caught my eye. It took a moment for me to put my finger on the exact detail that was out of place, but then it hit me like a jolt of electricity.

"Hey, Dean, do you have those photos you took of the houses?" I asked, holding my hand out expectantly for his phone.

Dean forked it over and I flipped through the pictures, scrutinizing every detail.

"This could just be some wacky coincidence, but all four houses have the exact same weathervane," I proclaimed, showing Sam, who was sitting on the edge of one of the beds beside me, before showing the others. "They weren't original to the house, as we can see from the records office photos. I know ghost hauntings are usually tied with personal possessions, but this is the only thing I can think of. What else would connect all the houses?"

The Winchesters exchanged a look. As usual, their expressions betrayed their emotions, and I knew exactly what they were thinking before either one of them opened their mouths.

"We've seen stuff like this before," Sam said slowly. "We should ask around about it, see if they were on the houses ten years ago when the first four killings took place. We can go from there."