Chapter 5

June 19th, 2003
Denton Valley, New York
Sheriff Station

"So what happened next in your investigation?" Doctor Reid prompted, snapping me back to the present.

"We swung by the cabin. The police still had it taped up, but we decided to risk taking a peek anyway. Dean and I climbed onto the roof and took a good look at the skylight. It looked to us like it had been tampered with. We tried--with gloves on--to lift it off. Dean couldn't do it, and he's pretty strong. With my Slayer strength, I could lift it easily. Which meant it was easy for a vampire."

The skeptical look the Doctor sent in my direction was hurtful. Just to prove a point, I reached my right hand over to grip the cuff that encircled the armrest of my chair. With a single jerk of my left wrist, the links connecting the two cuffs snapped and I was freed.

That definitely wasn't my finest idea, although there was a distressingly long list from the past few days to contend with. Agent Hotchner reached for his gun and Doctor Reid stumbled back a step.

"Relax," I said, crossing my arms and folding my legs together. "That's why I asked for the blood panel. It'll prove that I'm not on PCP or whatever. That's pure Slayer strength. "

"It's, uh, a little hard to relax now that you've demonstrated how strong you really are," Doctor Reid stammered.

"Yeah, but I sat here this entire time, telling my story because I want to be heard. Don't take this the wrong way, but if I wanted out of here, you guys couldn't stop me," I said. "That sounded really arrogant, but it's the gods-honest truth. Anyway, I proved that I could have entered the house through the skylight, and that backed my theory that, somehow, Nikovage had killed Ramsey and that the regular rules didn't apply to him.

"We didn't know what else to do, so we headed back to the bed and breakfast. The Stolls and I pooled our money and we got a room with a pullout couch, so after a night of rest, we met up in the diner the following morning."

June 15th, 2003

Denton Valley, New York

Denton's Diner

It was becoming instinctual to sit in the corner booth. The Stolls and I arrived first and placed our orders. Twenty or so minutes later, the Winchesters were along.

"Anything from your contacts?" I asked Sam.

"They're stumped. I suspect Nikovage has never come across their radars, but we could be pleasantly surprised."

The conversation stalled as a waitress approached the table.

"Any news from Alban and the Council?" Sam asked after the waitress had poured him a steaming cup of coffee. He drank it black.

"I called but I the line was busy. I'm hoping we hear from him any minute now because I don't know how else to proceed. He mentioned that the Blood Sect had roots here in the seventies, but he didn't know much more than that. We should have looked at Ramsey's papers when we were in the house last night," I grumbled.

I hadn't slept well. The springs from the couch had dug into my back all night and the Stolls both liked to talk in their sleep. I hadn't noticed it the night before, but it had kept me up as they managed to carry a conversation back and forth. If we weren't in such a dire situation, I was tempted to ask them what happened at the Camp Store six years ago.