Chapter 9

June 17th, 2003

Denton Valley, New York
Kipps's Cabin

"We're back!" I called as I flung open the front door, wielding Bloodslayer with one hand, my ax with the other.

Alec was right behind me and made a b-line for the restroom. I continued into the great room where everyone else was gathered. The remains of dinner were piled high on the kitchen counter and they seemed to be in the middle of a discussion that involved referencing maps and printouts. It was all forgotten when they saw Bloodslayer.

A myriad of questions were asked as they crowded around.

"Alright, alright!" I called over the racket. "Magnus couldn't undo the spell because it's not a total lunar eclipse, but did the next best thing, which was create a weapon. The catch is, I'm the only one that can use it. He made me drink this disgusting potion thing during this ceremony and everything was glowing red. Don't recommend."

I was feeling a little jittery after the long car ride, so the words sort of tumbled out of my mouth.

"Glad we've got that sorted because we found the meeting place," Kipps said, smiling broadly. "And not just the property, we found the spot on the property where they meet. And if what the neighbors told us is correct, they'll be there tomorrow night with a victim"

We couldn't have timed it any better. Fate did pull through sometimes.

I sat down, eager to hear more. When Alec arrived, Kipps got to explaining.

"So, we were suspicious of Hunter Vargus's property, so we canvased the neighborhood and the landowner to the east said he's filed noise complaints before because Vargus goes all out on these crazy raves in the woods every few days. He started complaining that they were due for another one soon. So while the Winchesters went to talk with the other neighbors, the Stolls, Charlie, and I approached the property from the south through the woods and lo and behold, we found this massive clearing. It's well traveled, there's a pathway leading directly back to the house, and it had this sinister feeling to it," Kipps explained. He was now gesturing at a map. "We started planning for tomorrow night."

Before he could say more, I cut him off.

"That's all well and good, but I want to make sure you guys know what you're getting in to," I said, standing up to pace. "We hardly know anything about the Blood Sect. We don't know how many members there are, and we most certainly don't know what happens when they gather in the woods. And I'm the only one that can actually kill Nikovage, which is a challenge of its own. How do we single out just him so he can't use the cult members to escape? How do we fight our way through to him? I know we're trying to stay hopeful here, but it sounds like a suicide mission to me, and I'm not one to back down from a fight.

"What I'm trying to say is, I'm not asking you guys to come with me, but I'm asking you guys to give it some thought because there are some serious risks involved here and I want you guys to realize what we're dealing with."

There was a long moment of silence before Dean glanced around.

"Yeah, I'm down," he said, and the others agreed.

It made me smile, but some piece inside of me questioned whether they really knew what was at stake here.

"As I was saying," Kipps plowed on, as if I hadn't spoken at all. "We've come up with a plan."

The plan was actually fairly simple.

We would arrive before the sun set and the vampires were out, approaching the clearing from the south. It was a bit of a hike, but completely managable and would take less than an hour to negotiate, even if we were weighted down with weapons. We would conceal ourselves around the clearing and wait. Charlie said he could cast some spells to mask our scent, but he needed to save his strength for the real show.