Chapter 9

Ava

I didn't know how much time had passed while i was with the healer, but I had never felt better. My face had healed, leaving no scarring and I felt more energised than I used to. The healer had told me that I was running a fever, which I was surprised about cause I had felt fine but I knew not to argue with him. He forced me to lie down and rest for a few hours before moving cause apparently, the medication he gave me would make me dizzy for a while, as it wasn't exactly for humans due to it being too strong and was given to me in a smaller dosage. Raynar, Solari and Dago remained by my side the entire time I was there and I was disappointed that Zorn had decided to leave me with them while he was doing 'business' as he put it. I didn't quite understand what I was feeling and it was frustrating.

"So, Ava, I just need to do a final check over before I can let you go to make sure everything is looking better." He came over and stood in front of me and held a small circular device in his hand and pressed it against my neck and I flinch, moving away from him. He seemed surprised and I watched him go over to where Raynar was talking silently to Dago and told her to come over. "She will stay with you if that helps."

I shook my head and attempted to get off the bed when he tried to approach me again.

"Nope. I'm fine without it, I just want to go home." I said, cupping my neck and moved to the other side away from them. There was no way that thing was going near my neck.

I wasn't going to let them.

"Ava, it's just for a few seconds and then it will be over-" I shook my head again and I felt my body rock and panic started to set in. I didn't want that thing near my neck. I hated anything near my neck to begin with. Ever since...

"Okay, we will do this another day when she needs to come back." He raised his hands in the air and backed away from me slowly and when he got to the other side of the room, did he put the device away in his pocket. The panic was still there but not as much as before. I could feel eyes n me and I just wanted to disappear. Being by myself for so long made me too comfortable being alone and I was fine with that. All I wanted was to go outside.

"Why don't I show you where you'll be staying."I nodded and moved off the bed and walked around it until I was near Raynar but not too close. "Solari, take Dago to his room and keep him there, I will be talking to him when I get back" I could hear Dago groan from behind me as she escorted me out and guided me carefully away and to a small building that was located near a dense woodland area. Seeing the trees made me feel more at ease. Maybe because I was closer to nature here than where we were before. "This is my son's. I know it may seem unfamiliar but I hope you find it home for now."

When she opened the door and ushered me inside, I noted the room was quite bare. It lacked something.

I sat on the edge of the bed and sighed. I was hoping to go home soon but by the looks of it, it might be a while. And it made me feel worse that I couldn't see any of my kind on the way over here. I hoped there was at least a small community I could talk to.

"I'll bring someone to get you more comfortable clothes and prepare a bath. You must be thirsty." She turned to walk away but stopped when I talked.

" I don't see any technology in here?"

"I don't understand."

"You have that ship and the stuff the doctor has but I don't see anything in here. Why?"

She smiled.

"We've only started to adapt to technology. We used to be a nomadic race but our people were attacked just like yours-" she shook her head and looked at me sadly. "Zorn will tell you when you are ready." She walked out leaving me alone to think about what I just heard. This all seemed to be a bit too much.

"Ava."

Zorn stood in the doorway. He appeared shocked to see me in his home. What I noticed was that his hair had been pulled back into a loose bun. A few strands fell loose around his face. It suited him like that.

When I realised I had been staring too long, my cheeks flushed and I quickly looked away.

"Sorry, your mother brought me here. If you're not comfortable I can-"

"No!" He shouted. I jumped slightly at his sudden outburst and looked back at him. The first thing I noticed was that he slowly moved towards me; like an animal stalking its prey. Only when he was standing in front of me did I notice how tall he was. I had to strain my neck in order to see his face. "You will not be sleeping anywhere else other than here."

"You know you can't keep me here. He crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes. I could tell I wasn't going to win this but he had to know. "I don't belong here. Sooner or later your family will come to dislike me." I started picking at my hands again in frustration and I must have picked too hard because my thumb began to bleed a little. He moved quickly and was in front of me within seconds, kneeling and covered my hands, making me look at him.

"Just give me a chance to prove myself."