Chapter 7

Ava

"Where did you get a new bed?" I asked amazed by how quickly a new bed was put in the room. It looked exactly like the old one. "I wasn't gone that long." What I had said seemed to make him smile slightly and scratch his chin. "It was just lying around."

"mmm." I moved further into the room to look around. It wasn't what I really expected, seeing as the room was just so plain. And one colour.

white.

It was really clean and it made me realise how proud he was of cleanliness. The bedspread was already neatly folded on the foot of the bed. Everything was so white it hurt my eyes and occasionally I had to squint and blink rapidly just to focus again. When I turned around, Zorn stood there watching me. I couldn't quite figure out that look in his eyes however when someone brought food on a tray, my mouth watered and I licked my lips. I didn't know what most of it was, but the smell that came of it was phenomenal.

"Put them on the bed and leave." He ordered and walked to the other side of the room, which opened an invisible door to another white room. When it shut after him I looked at the food again. Am I allowed to eat now? I wondered and approached slowly and breathed in the smell of the food and looked at the door again, unsure about what to do. If I ate it and some of it was for him, would he be angry? But I couldn't let the food go to waste.

Sitting next to the tray I picked up something spongey and the texture was soft. slowly I brought it to my mouth and bit into it, getting used to the taste. It exploded on my tongue and I audibly moaned and relaxed, taking small bites to savour the flavour. I was so used to old canned food and rabbit meat and occasionally dear if the chance had given it to me. This, on the other hand, was so much better than the rabbit.

When I was done, I began to pick at the other foods and ate my fill. While I was busing eating, I didn't notice that Zorn had stepped back into the room and was standing behind me, watching me enjoy myself and only when he sat on the other side of the tray, did I realise and jump out of my skin in surprise.

"Did you want some? Im sorry I uh... couldn't stop, it's all so good and I've never tasted stuff like this." I pushed the tray towards him but he only pushed it back with a smile. He shook his head.

"This is all for you."

"Oh. Well, im all full now so.." I trailed off and looked down at my hands. I was picking at the skin around my nails which left them sore. When his hand grabbed mine gently, I went stiff and tried to remain calm. I didn't know what he wanted but he seemed to be kind, but kindness could always hide something else sinister.

"Please get comfortable and rest." He said with a soft smile and I felt my body relax as his thumb massaged the top of my hand. "We will be arriving at the colony soon, so I need to prepare the brothers."

"Wait, what do you mean, colony? What colony?" I turned to look at him. He was already by the door. "Where are you taking me?" I stood up to run towards him however before i could get there, the door had already shut behind him, leaving me locked in the room without any knowledge of where I was. "Hey! You can't keep me in here!" I kicked the door and screamed in frustration. With no other exits, my breath quickened and I had to close my eyes to not make the room feel like it was getting smaller. Wherever this man was taking me mustn't be bad but the thought kept making everything worse for me in my head. I didn't like the idea of being vulnerable in a place I was unfamiliar with.

"Pull yourself together," I told myself and slowly backed myself into a corner in the room and slid down the wall, bringing my knees up and resting my forehead on them.

That's how I was when he came back in. I didn't know how much time has passed but I pretended not to be awake and listened to him walked around quietly. I could hear rustling but I refused to lift my head up and acknowledge him after he locked me in here. I managed to not look up when he made his way over to me and I felt him place a blanket over me. He quietly moved away and I heard him lie down and sigh.

I eventually looked up when I heard his breathing slow and even out. He had given me the only thing to keep him warm. He was lying on his back, with his arm covering his eyes while the other was under his head. His clothes were different and I had the thought that he may have left the room to change to make me comfortable. Guilt washed over me. He was doing everything to make me safe and I was constantly looking for a way to escape. I needed to get home but I knew deep down that it wasn't my home anymore. It was always father's and that wasn't going to change.

Maybe, just maybe, this man could help me find others like me. Was there more like me at this colony?

I would have to take a leap of faith.

I lay on my side on the floor, moving around until I was comfortable on the hard surface, wrapping the blanket tighter and used my arm as a pillow and finally succumbed to sleep, letting my eyes close and listening to his breathing.

I was so deep in sleep, I didn't feel my body being lifted and gently being placed on the bed.