Chapter Sixteen

N O A H

"Insanity is everyone expecting you not to fall apart when you find out everything you believed in was a lie."  Yeah man.

"I walk in the office and it's the same fucking girl that got me into this mess the first place." Keeping my voice low, I searched for Uncle Sam's presence, but luckily he's in his room.

"She asks about lawyers and then." I started digging into my pocket, pulling out a piece of paper. "Hands me a ten thousand dollar check to pay my lawyer."

"What?" Ocean reached over and grabbed the check, stretching his narrow fingers around it and pulled checking if it's legit. "Did you forgive her after this, shit, I would."

We both laughed until Uncle Sam returned, reaching us to a prompt silence. "Wav- Ocean are you staying the night?"

"Yes Uncle Sam." Ocean picked up on the 'uncle' part at the same time I did. Sam and Ocean, may not be related, but they're closer than one might think.

"While I make dinner, you will do your homework. Both of you." Our Uncle said, trying to sound demanding but he just ended up sounding uncanny.

But doing as  told, we headed to my bedroom and sat down on the bed, ignoring the pop of life outside the window.

"How's it going with creepy step daddy?" I threw a few books on the covers and pulled out the math textbook. Flipping through a few pages, I realised I actually finished it in class. Surprisingly, math is the only subject I've had consist success in.

"As creepy as you can imagine." Tonight both Ocean and I decided it would be safer for him to stay over, since we don't know what could happen. "Have I told how on Friday they kicked a ball at me?"

I raised my eyebrows, "No?"

Ocean informed me about the ball incident, but a name stuck with me. "Slater, he helped you? That's a first, usually he's a pussy about everything."

"He's actually not that bad." My best friend wrote a few words in his book and looked culpably back at me. "Okay, he is an asshole, but  for a second he was different."

I looked at him sceptically, "I'll believe it when I see it and I'm not planning on seeing it."

There was a long pause as I scratched the dry skin on my knuckles. The wound from Chief's party was only now healing, "a woman gave me a lift, and on the speaker played a voicemail of her ex girlfriend screaming about goodbye sex."

"That woman sounds like a bitch, imagine fucking someone and then leaving them."I grew annoyed and curtly locked eyes with him At least she didn't kidnap you."

"And do what? She's too rich."

I shrugged, "Eat you? Rich people are weird like that."

"You are you don't wanna see how Slater looks?"

I pulled my lips together and rolled my eyes, "I don't wanna see his bigoted bitch ass. Want to spare my eyes."

*

"Ocean." I whispered urgently as I shoved his shoulder from left to right. "Wake up, something's going on outside."

"What?" A groggily voice came the half unconscious body. "I'm trying to sleep Noah."

My patience burned out, I ripped him by the arm, and began to drag him to the thin bedroom door. Without words, I instructed Ocean to listen. Just like my companion, I was half asleep, so, my hearing wasn't the best. It didn't come from outside. The rustling came from the kitchen.

We pressed our heads against the door and both heard a bearish screech, "You stay away from that boy! I'm warning you, if you lay a finger in him. I'll go to the police."