Chapter Seventeen

O C E A N

[Few days earlier]

I laid my costume on Noah's bed and scratched my head confused. A witch? Oh, I was definitely going to be hate-crimed at that party, "What do you think? This is all I could get on
short notice," She sat crossed legged on the chair near the desk she never used and spooned a few fruit loops in her mouth, "God, Wave, I know that look, you hate it."

I forced up a smile, "I don't hate it, it's just, I told you I wanted to be a bunny."

Noah gurgled down the milk and placed the bowl on her English assignment before giving me a
sad expression, "Bruh, you should have seen the people in the store. I had to fight an old lady for that costume. Everything was gone. Maybe you should actually buy your own shit instead of asking the person who does not give a fuck about Halloween."

Placing the pointy hat on my head, I glanced at the mirror and thought of ways that I could save the costume, "I hope Caleb likes it."

She laughed out loud, "Caleb. Right. Did you know I have a degree in mechanical engineering?" My eyes squinted, "Oh yeah, that's right, I don't, but it's very easy to lie to myself."

I threw a pillow in her face, "Shut up." 

*

[FRIDAY🍾🎆]

The colourful lights whirled past my eyes. Trendy music boomed out of the windows. Students and strangers were packed at the entrance of the mansion which meant that the house was already filled to the brim. How was I even supposed to get to Caleb? I swallowed my fear and went up the long stairs, pushing people out of my way.

Inside people were grinding on one another, feeling the rhythm of the beat. I contemplated leaving and coming up with an excuse to talk to Caleb some other time, but then I saw Slater. His curly hair was slicked back and his sharp features highlighted by black contouring lines.

He gave me a smirk and took a long sip of a something from a red cup, refusing to break eye contact with me. A girl danced next to him, pushing her ass against the front of his pants, I took the opportunity to walk up stairs.

 A girl danced next to him, pushing her ass against the front of his pants, I took the opportunity to walk up stairs

Upstairs the house was pretty much deserted, only the faint thump of music gave away the silence. Even though Slater's house was much bigger, I could have easily gotten lost. A hand gripped my forearm, I flinched, staring at a Jason mask. His machete went up, "Ocean, I never thought I'd see you here."

Caleb pulled off the mask, revealing a white smile and masculine face, "I'm full of surprises," In his costume he looked even bigger and taller compared to me, "Can I get something to drink?"He looked excited as he took my hand and led me downstairs, "I wouldn't drink anything that's in a bowl, here," I pushed my back against the counter, watching him search around in the fridge, "I have a red bull, you probably don't wanna drink."

I frowned, giving him it back, "Don't you have anything stronger?"

Caleb chuckled and placed a tall glass on the table. He cracked open the can, pouring the red bull inside and added a splash of vodka, "If you throw up, I will abandon you."