SEVEN

I haven't slept all night, completely overwhelmed by the pace and the interior harmony Seth's presence made me feel for the entire day

I haven't slept all night, completely overwhelmed by the pace and the interior harmony Seth's presence made me feel for the entire day. Even after he went away, I couldn't stop feeling extremely light-hearted, like the "accident" with my father didn't even happen. I almost forgot it, too focused on talking to Seth about our favourite tv series. The entire afternoon passed so quickly, maybe too quickly, and when he told me he had to go home because of work... well, I was tempted to ask him to see each other again soon. But then I didn't.

I barely know him, and I was about to ask him to stay with me another afternoon?

What the hell is wrong with me? What if he is a serial killer?

Well, then I'd really like to be...

NO. NO.

The persistent ringing of my home phone is perforating my ears, but I'd rather be deaf than getting up from my cosy sheets. Even though it's morning, I was about to finally fall asleep when it started ringing, and whoever is calling, really wants to speak to me. After minutes that seem more like hours, it finally stops. I toss and turn in my bed, trying to relax, closing my eyes and breathing slowly. At the same moment I feel half asleep, the phone starts ringing again, but this time the ringing is louder and nearer. It's not the home phone, it's my cell phone.

I growl, totally annoyed. All I want to do now is sleeping, only sleeping, not talking to anyone.

Except for Seth. I'd love to talk to him again.

I puff and huff while taking my phone from the nightstand next to my bed. I look at the screen and I see the smiley and wrinkled face of Uncle Billy.

He disappears for days and now calls early in the morning? Balance, Uncle Billy, balance.

I finally decide to answer, knowing that he will get furious If I don't, and will come here immediately, shutting down the door with his wheelchair.

"Uncle Billy", I greet him with a sleepy voice.

"Cordelia Black", he replies, bothered "are we already losing control here, without your mom around?" he continues.

I roll my eyes; this is so typical of him, I remember him being extremely strict as a parent, especially with Jake, less with Rach and Rebecca.

"For your information, school is not started yet and I didn't sleep last night". I assure him, yawing too many times.

"Of course, you didn't sleep, with all that junk food you ate with Seth, yesterday. That's how you're spending your money, kiddo? Remember that your mom is paying for you".

I immediately sit up on the bed, focusing only on the first sentence. A wide smile appearing on my face while I try to move the long black hair fallen over my eyes and mouth.

"Wait, Seth told you he was here?" I ask him, with too much excitement, that my uncle does not seem to like. I can clearly hear him snorting.

"Yes. And for your information, you are NOT allowed to bring boys over. Not even boys I know very well, especially when you're alone!"