The Shirshu

Y/N's POV
I was roaming the kitchen for some snacks, conversing with the cook, when we were both jerked sideways.

I grabbed my staff and sighed, "I'll be right back."

I ran into Iroh and Zuko on the way out, the prince seeming more irritated by the second.

As we reached outside, every available member of the crew was standing guard against a massive beast with a woman riding it.

"Get back! We're after a stowaway!"

Zuko stepped forward, "there are no stowaways on my ship."

She ignored them, her beast ripping the metal flooring and throwing it straight at Zuko, who ducked before turning back to her, scowling.

But just as he was about to say something, a terrified man scrambled up from below deck and tried to run for it; but the beast lashed out it's tongue, sending the man tumbling to the ground.

Zuko watched in awe, "he's paralysed..."

The woman jumped down to pick the man up, and now that I could see her properly, she was absolutely stunning.

I fanned my face and joked, "he's not the only one who's paralysed."

Zuko rolled his eyes; she continued, "only temporarily. The toxins will wear off in about an hour, but by then he'll be in jail and I'll have my money."

"But how did you find him on my ship?"

She patted the beast, "my shirshu can smell a rat a continent away."

Iroh stared at her and muttered, "well, I'm impressed."

I sighed, "so am I..."

"Very impressed."

After quick consideration, Zuko turned to me, "can I ask a favour?"

Zuko had rarely asked me to do anything for him before.

"Sure, what do you need?"

"You think you can track down where that woman and her shirshu went?"

I felt a smirk grow on my face as I grabbed my glider, "piece of cake."

I soared up into the sky and flew low to find their tracks.

Bingo.

After following back to a town, I turned back into the woodlands and came across an old bar, outside of which, the shirshu was sleeping.

I hesitantly approached it, at first it was a little defensive, but eventually let me pet it.

"Hello! Aren't you such a good shirshu? Yes, you are!"

I patted it's neck before sighing and opening my glider, "I'll see you soon."

Zuko, Iroh and I made our way back to the bar as someone came flying out of the top window. Much to our convenience, the shirshu was still there.

Zuko stormed in, pushing people to the side, "out of my way! Step aside, filth!"

Iroh following behind him, "he means no offence, I'm certain you bathe regularly."

I caught up to Zuko, peering from behind his shoulder at the woman from earlier, who was in the middle of arm wrestling a rather muscular man.

"I need to talk to you."

She causally turned to us, "well, if it isn't my new friends, angry boy, uncle lazy and the avatar."

I raised my hand and quickly corrected, "I'm not the avatar."