Ember Island: Part 1

Y/N's POV
I sat dangling my legs over the railings as Ty Lee exclaimed, "I'm so excited to get to spend the weekend on Ember Island! It's gonna be great to hang out on the beach and do nothing!"

Zuko stood up from where he was sat with Mai and snapped, "doing nothing is a waste of time! We're being sent away on a forced vacation! I feel like a child."

Azula replied, "lighten up. So, dad wants to meet with his advisors alone without anyone else around, don't take it personally."

I jumped down from the railings and walked over to Zuko, ruffling his hair, "come on, stop being so grumpy!" before turning to Azula and Ty Lee, "so, where are we staying?"

Ty Lee asked Azula, "doesn't your family have a house on Ember Island?"

"We used to come every summer when we were kids."

"That must've been fun!"

And from the corner, Zuko grumbled, "that was a long time ago."

As we arrived, we were greeted by the twin old ladies that were at Zuko and Azula's welcoming ceremony, "welcome to Ember Island, kids."

As we followed them into their house, Zuko mumbled, "it smells like old lady in here."

Followed by Mai, "gee, I wonder why."

As everyone chatted, I took my time to look around at the decorations, everything in the Fire Nation was so different to the air temples.

"Ooh, I love the seashell bedspread!"

Mai narrowed her eyes at Ty Lee, who was laying across the bed, "are you serious? It looks like the beach threw up all over it."

The twins took turns in speaking, but I didn't know which one was which, "we know you're upset that you were forced to come here this weekend."

"But Ember Island is a magical place, keep an open mind."

"Give it a chance."

"And it can help you understand yourselves and each other."

"The beach has a special way of smoothing even the most ragged edges- time to hit the beach!"

They then dropped their robes, revealing their swimwear and Mai held her hand over Zuko's eyes, whilst I just looked away.

Once we had changed into our beachwear, I looked in the mirror and sighed, "do you have anything that'll cover my tattoos? I don't want to draw attention whilst we're here."

As everyone turned to look at me, Ty Lee gasped, "woah, you have those tattoos all over your body!"

Mai stood up from where she was sat with Zuko, "I think I might have something you can borrow."

I followed her over to her bag and she handed me a very thin long sleeved top that was clearly cropped with little loops on the end of the sleeves that hooked onto your middle fingers and matching bottoms that went down to the ankles- both crimson red.

"They'll cover your arms and legs, the tattoos on your face, back and feet will show a little, but these are pretty airy, they're meant for the beach, so you won't get overly hot just because of the long sleeves and legs."

I grinned, taking them from her, "wow! Thanks, Mai! That's awesome of you!"

"No worries."

As I was changing again, Ty Lee popped her head in, "Mai said your face tattoo was in need of a cover up and I have the perfect solution!"

She pulled out a white hat from behind her back, "see! It's one of those hats without the top bit thingy, I don't really know what it's called, but this will probably cover up your tattoo pretty well!"

"You two are the best! Thanks so much, Ty Lee!"

I trailed behind the group as we approached the beach, looking around at all of the people dressed in different shades of reds and gold.

I wanted to get in the sea but I didn't want to risk people noticing me, so I slumped down next to Azula on the sand.

"Oh, who's that guy with Ty Lee?"

She almost seemed to roll her eyes as she sighed, "no idea."

Zuko and Mai were sat a little behind us under their beach umbrella, and I caught a little bit of their conversation as I tried to relax.

"Here, this is for you."

I glanced back and saw Zuko handing Mai a pretty sea shell.

"Why would I want that?"

"I saw it and I thought it was pretty. Don't girls like stuff like this?"

She furrowed her eyebrows and turned away, "maybe stupid girls."

He dashed it away and yelled, "FORGET IT!"

I chuckled and turned to Azula, "ah, I really want to go for a swim."

She raised an eyebrow, "so, do it."

I shook my head and laid back, accidentally catching Zuko and Mai's conversation again, "I thought since it's so hot... here," he handed her an ice cream, but before she could even take it, it fell straight off the cone and into her lap.

"Thanks, this is really... refreshing."

I yelled back at them, chuckling, "you're failing miserably, Zuko!"

I felt Azula stand up from beside me, "hey, beach bums, we're playing next... Ty Lee get over here now!"

Ty Lee walked over on her palms from where she had a bunch of guys fawning over her. And Zuko stood up from where he was sat and dramatically threw his robe to the ground, earning giggles from some nearby girls but I was laughing my head off.

"What's so funny!?"

I doubled over, holding my stomach as it started to hurt, "you- I can't even- why did you- you're so dramatic."

He folded his arms and grumbled, "you're so annoying."

I wiped a tear from my eye as I stopped laughing, "ah, I'm sorry but you just- ah. Okay, I'm done."

Azula called us all to huddle in a group on our side of the net, "see that girl with the silly pigtails? When she runs toward the ball, there's just the slightest hesitation in her left foot,"

We all turned to look at the girl on the other team as she continued, "I'm willing to bet a childhood injury has weakened her. Keep serving the ball to her left and we'll destroy her and the rest of her team. Dismissed."

Azula served first, scoring us a point right off the bat- we didn't miss a single ball from them and they didn't receive a single ball from us. On Azula's last serve, the ball moved so quickly through the air that when it hit the ground it set fire to the net.

Azula stood by the net, a menacing smile on her face as she looked at the other team, "yes! We defeated you for all time. You will never rise from the ashes of your shame and humiliation! - ah, that was fun!"

I was stood by Ty Lee when a couple of guys approached us, "I'm having a party tonight. You two should come by."

Ty Lee smiled, "sure, I love parties!"

The other one glanced over at Mai and added, "your other friend can come, too."

Azula approached them, "uh, what about me and my brother? Aren't you going to invite us?"

They glanced at each other as she continued, "you don't know who we are, do you?"

"Don't you know who we are? We're Chan and Ruon-Jian."

"Yeah!"

Zuko came storming towards them, but Azula put out her arm to stop him.

"But fine you're invited. Just so you know, though, some of the most important teenagers in the Fire Nation are gonna be at this party so... try and act normal."

A smirk pulled at Azula's lips as she replied, "we'll do our best."