Chapter V

Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho—Present Day

KIM HAD FOLLOWED ME through the dark tunnel in silence. We were both a little off; she was speechless, for once. As for me, I had just fought a man who was not quite human and held my own.

The huge house that Kreios had built was empty; no one was there. Kim gasped in surprise and wonder as I gave her the tour: the great ballroom, the awesome library, and my room. We didn’t even consider entering Michael’s room. It was too close to the wound, the pain still fresh.

Kim spent some time in my bathroom so that she could at least clean up and feel human again. It was good that we were, along with all the other things we shared, really close to the same size. She looked much better in one of my favorite outfits, and aside from the bruises and her stiffness, she was herself again. Nothing a little Advil and enough time couldn’t cure.

One of the first things we discussed, once we had caught up, was when she could go home.

“Same as me,” I said, “whenever it’s safe.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

I was amazed at how much like Kreios I now sounded, and how much like me—the old me—she sounded. Things were starting to make sense now that I understood some of the reasons why. But for her, not so much. “We’ll talk with my… with Kreios, when he gets… home.” Old words were hard to fit into new definitions. I was trying to roll with it, Kim-style.

She changed the subject rather effortlessly. That was one of the reasons she was my best friend. “You know, since you and Michael went missing, I’ve been looking for you like a mad woman. Your parents called the police, but that seemed to make things worse—the detective who was in charge of your case was murdered. Everything changed after that. They’ve got everyone looking for you now. I was expecting to see your face on the milk carton soon.” We didn’t laugh very hard at the joke; it only made me think of how we would probably have to launch a massive cover-up if we were to survive for long.

Since Kreios wasn’t back yet and we were getting pretty hungry, I put together some dinner out of whatever was around. If there was ever a time when I wished for the modern conveniences (such as frozen pizza), it was then.

The sun was sliding behind the mountains when I heard something far off. Kim obviously didn’t hear it, and I wondered if I should be alarmed or get ready to defend the castle or something. I wished Kreios had shown me more. I wished we’d had more time together. I had so many questions about what to do with my newly activated self. The sound I heard was like rushing wind, but faster, quieter, more distinct. Kreios appeared seconds later, landing on the back porch, graceful and feather soft. Kim and I stared through the big windows, awestruck.

We were in the company of an angel.

“Whoa,” Kim muttered.

“I know—too bad I can’t do that.”

Kim looked at me, her face scrunched.

Kreios opened the glass door and walked into the room. I ran to him, barely aware of what I was doing, and threw myself into his arms, asking if he was okay, if everything was all right. It sure seemed like there was nothing to worry about, the way he shone—but I couldn’t help being concerned. This angel in the room was my grandfather.

As I drew away and looked at him, I could hear his voice in my mind. Airel. Do you understand now?

I nodded slightly, not wanting Kim to feel like a third wheel attached to a private conversation. For the first time, I saw my grandfather—Kreios—and I heard him in my mind once more. This is just the beginning.