Chapter 6 - Coadunation

During the next month, Anthony and Penelope were becoming accustomed to living together. They are making the arrangements to be married in the St. Nicholas Church in Sutton.

They're having a small ceremony with the townspeople attending. They figured that they could have a bigger one with the family after the babies were born.

Anthony decided not to tell his family about them. He wanted just them during this time. He knows how his family can be and does not want to stress Penelope out. They both agreed that after the babies were born, they would advise his family of the circumstances.

Anthony and Penelope were at the church talking with the vicar (Charles Gardener, D. D.). Regarding the wedding. It takes about a month to get the license and arrange a ceremony at the church.

She will be seven months pregnant when she marries Anthony. She is having a special dress made for her wedding to accommodate her growing size. Blue is the colour she wants, and Anthony is also going to be in blue.

The day before the wedding, the midwife checked her over and told her things were going well, but she will need to take it easy. She may require more bed rest or she will probably have them earlier than expected when carrying twins.

"See, I told you were doing too much. You must rest more," said Anthony in that I told you so voice after the midwife left.

She turned to him and pointed her finger at him, "Don't you dare, Anthony," exasperated.

Anthony just laughed at her. She just sighed and laughed too.

He walked over to the bed and sat beside her and asked her, "Since it's our wedding day tomorrow, do you want me to sleep in another room?" he asked her tenderly hoping she says no.

She looked at him thinking slowly tapping her chin and then smiled, "Anthony, see how I look, under different circumstances I would say yes, but now, I say no," she leaned into him and kissed him.

His heart was beating so fast he thought she could hear it, and when she kissed me, wow! Thank god.

****

The next day, Anthony was at the church on the chancel waiting for Penelope to walk down the aisle. He wore a deep blue velvet jacket with black pants and a white shirt with a light blue cravat.

The church was crowded. I think every one of the tenants was in attendance today, which surprised him. In the front row was Mrs. Smith smiling up at him. All of sudden the doors opened and there stood Penelope in a beautiful blue gown, her hair was down in ringlets the front held back with sparkling crystals holding them in place.

Anthony held his breath, she was so beautiful. Mr. Jones was beside her as he was walking her down the aisle to him. Penelope was starring at him, he was gorgeous in his blue suit, dark brown hair, and his brown eyes. They were showing her such love in his eyes she couldn't look anywhere else but him.

Mr. Jones pass her hand to Anthony and went to sit beside Marie in the front pew.

He took her hands and they stood on the chancel and he squeezed them. They turned towards the vicar and started the ceremony.

"To all present I say: We are gathered here, not to witness the beginning of what will be, but rather what already is! We do not create this marriage, because marriage is created in the hearts of two loving people. We can and do, however, gather to celebrate with Penelope Featherington and Anthony Bridgerton the wondrous and joyful occurrence that has already taken place in their lives, and the commitment they make today."

Anthony and Penelope turned to each other and he said to her:

I, Anthony Bridgeton, take you, Penelope Featherington, to be my wedded wife. With the deepest joy, I receive you into my life that together we may be one. I promise you my love, my fullest devotion, my tenderest care. I pledge to you my life as a loving and faithful husband.