8

Waking up in Micah's arms would never get old. The warmth of his body, his soft breaths in my ear, the way we always ended up with our legs tangled together. The pale morning light streamed in through the soft curtains, and I knew the sun hadn't risen yet.

I loved this angel. I loved him so much it hurt sometimes. To think about the fact that once this war came, there would be no more mornings like this. There would be no more waking up to him. Coming home, making love and falling asleep with him.

A sharp pang in my chest burned my throat and my eyes, the sting of unshed tears. I watched him a while, enjoying how peaceful he looked when he was asleep. His face taking a softer look, almost youthful compared to the hard battle warrior he became when he woke.

Slipping my hands in his hair, I pulled myself closer to him, bringing my mouth to meet his. He responded immediately, wrapping his hands around my waist and snug against him. Pulling myself up, I slid across his waist, straddling him. His hands shifted, fingers reaching into the soft strands of my hair, pulling me in to kiss him.

Sliding my way down his body, He pushed himself up so he was slightly seated against the headboard. His eyes, sleepy and lust filled, zoned in on me. Stopping just shy of his hips, I reached under myself, feeling his hard cock.

Slipping down further, I rested myself in between his legs, taking his thick length in my hand. Flicking my eyes back up to his, his heated gaze sent a shiver down my spine. I kept eye contact as I took him into my mouth. Slowly at first, and just the tip, before opening my mouth and taking more of him in each time. His groan of appreciation encouraged me to go faster, take him in deeper. The tip of him touched the back of my throat, springing tears to my eyes as a reflex, but I kept going.

"Ady, if you keep going -" he said, stopping short as I pulled him away from my mouth and moving to straddle him again.

Seating back, his hands came to rest on my hips as I slowly sunk onto him. A sharp exhale of breath left me, and I brought my eyes back to him. He hadn't taken his off me for a single moment. I began to move.

His hands traced up my hips, across my ribs and finding my heavy breasts. His fingers took my hard nipples between them, tugging slightly before releasing them and making their way down to my hips again, where he encouraged me to go faster. I closed my eyes and relished in the feeling.

My moans were vocal, each movement pulling me closer and closer.

"Ady...Baby" he uttered, "look at me when you come Adeline" he spoke as his fingers reached between my legs to touch my throbbing sex.

My hazy eyes fluttered open as he pressed down, my release barreling through me at the same time as daylight broke across the horizon, lighting up the room. Micah's wings were spread out, and my finger traced across the tip, sending him over the edge with a roar of my name.

We stilled, and his eyes, remained on me. His fingers coming to each side of my face.

"You are so beautiful Adeline. If only you could see yourself the way I see you" he whispered, his thumb gently tracing my cheek. Leaning forward, he crushed his mouth to mine before pulling back, our foreheads resting against one another.

"I love you" I whispered, too afraid to say more for fear of crying, or spilling my secret plans.

"Until the end" he replied.

**********

We were dressed and at the base an hour later, and the atmosphere was tense. The soldiers were spaced out - Some in the training ring getting in some last moment practice, others were huddled in teams and groups, discussing strategies and plans.

The workshops were overrun, and the blacksmiths were covered in sweat, ash and soot from all the crafting they'd been doing over the last week. I felt for them, and knew how badly they needed to rest. We stepped into the command center, finding Commander Laine waiting with his team. He turned to us, giving us a quick nod before continuing with his discussion.

We waited for him to dismiss his team before he came over to us.

"Micah" he said, turning his head to face me before saying "Adeline, I hope you're feeling better".

I nodded. "Much better, thank you Commander Laine" I replied. He gave a tense smile before replying.

"We're about to go into battle, you can drop the formalities now Adeline. Just Raz, please" he said. I shot him a polite smile back before turning to Micah.

"I'm going to find Gabe" I said, giving his hand a quick squeeze before stepping out. Turning towards the field, I passed a group of soldiers who gave polite nods and mumbles of hello. Odd... Usually people seemed to be more friendly towards me.

Stepping into the commons, I searched for Gabe, but there was no sign of him. A female soldier passed me. I'd seen her before, but didn't know her name.

"Excuse me?" I called. She turned to face me, her mouth pulling into a tight line.

"Have you seen Gabriel?" I asked. She sniffed before looking me up and down.

"He's with his fiancé. The one he nearly lost because of you" she sneered at me. I recoiled like she's slapped me. She noticed my reaction, as she offered me a horrid smile before turning on her heel and joining a nearby table.

The commons had gone quiet, I realized, as everyone had stopped to watch our conversation. Straightening my spine, I held myself together until I got out of the building.

How could I blame them for thinking that? All of them. It was true. Evie was taken because of who she was to me, and who I am to Lucifer. Tears stung my eyes as I roughly wiped them from my face before they could drip down my cheeks. Sniffing, I bit my lip.

Because of me. This whole war was because of me and I hated living with the thought that these people could die, and some more than likely would die. To protect their people and their families. To protect their city, they would willingly die for it.

Soldiers whipped their weapons in the field, preparing for their harshest battle yet. Some of them more focused than others. I could feel the sense of dread in the air. Warriors stood together in groups with heads bowed as one spoke in Latin. They spoke prayers to the old one, I realized.

That thought sat heavily in my stomach, turning it heavy as a wave of nausea passed over me.

I won't let it get that far. I won't let these people die for me.

I hurried out of the base, and through the forest towards Gabe's apartment.

Halfway through the walk, a chill crept up my spine. Someone was following me. Turning on my heel, I faced no one. The feeling grew more and more, and the raw unleashed power that swept in with it made me realize it wasn't a soldier, and this time, it definitely wasn't Micah.