3

"You're not focusing"

Gabe's rough voice pulling me away from my thoughts of the fortune teller.

Ever since she'd spoken with me two days ago, her words had replayed over and over again in my mind. I knew that she spoke only the truth, and it pushed me forward, reassuring me that the choice I was planning to take was right, albeit, absolutely terrifying.

The golden moon was four days away. I had four days to make sure everything was ready. Fighting with Gabe had become second nature to me, and I knew my abilities would be ready to withstand anything to come my way. Glancing up at Gabe, who had just knocked my feet out from underneath me, held his hand out to pull me to my feet.

"I'm tired Gabe" I replied hoarsely. Pushing the loose tendrils of hair out of my face, I inhaled deeply before picking my weapons up and heading out of the field, Gabe hot on my heels.

"Angel, the last two days have been much of the same. You aren't concentrating, your movements have been slow and if you can't focus with me, how are you going to face an enemy in battle?" he spoke. I halted in my boots, turning to face him.

"Gabe" I warned.

"Angel" he retorted.

"Don't push me. Not today." I replied tersely. He barked a harsh laugh at me.

"Do you think that you'll be able to say that to your opponent on the field? Do you think that they will be willing to just halt while you catch your breath? They'll cut you down like a weak -"

"GABRIEL! JUST STOP! I CANNOT TAKE ANYMORE TODAY!" I shouted, losing all patience. I'd never so much as raised my voice before, let alone screeched. He took a step back, holding his hands up.

"What's going on? Be honest with me. You and I are family now. I expect honesty. Always." he spoke, keeping his voice calm and slow, as if not to scare off a baby bird. I narrowed my eyes at him, throwing my weapons down in a thud.

"Do you want to know what my issue is Gabriel? Truly? You. Couldn't. Handle. It" I emphasised each word, making it clear to him this was not up for conversation. Stepping up to meet him, I shoved at his chest, barely managing to move him.

"You get to throw me around day in and day out, to prepare me for a battle that I don't want to be a part of. I am trying to come to terms with the fact that hundreds, if not thousands, of soldiers are going into, and will most likely not come out of. You don't understand what we are up against. You don't understand what I am up against. No one does" I hissed at him, the fear and anger and frustration pouring out of me.

"Adeline" he spoke, so softly it almost burned out the anger then and there. "Do you think that this is the first battle I've had to fight in? That all of us have had to fight in? These soldiers, these warriors, are built, trained and taught to fight. It's basically all we know. We understand that every time we walk out onto that battlefield, we could be taking our last breaths; living our last moments out with blood and death and loss. We face it every single time, because of what it means" he said, pulling me into a tight hug.

"We fight for those who we would die for. I would die for you Angel. You already know how Micah feels. You are our family." he whispered, kissing the top of my head.

I couldn't hold back. The tears fell like opened waterfalls; Flowing freely and heavily. The sobs came after. The thought that I could be losing them hurt more than I could bear. Thinking about the future without Gabe, without Evie... Without Micah. My sobs grew harsher as I struggled to control my breathing. Gabe collected me in his arms, bridal style, and flew me home. Landing in front of the building, my shoulders shook from the cries coming deep from my chest. I felt like the world was spinning. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't stop. Before I even realized it, I was being shifted into another pair of familiar arms. Breathing grew harder, my chest constricted so tightly I felt like I was being drowned alive.