18

The week after the battle was tough.

So many families lost loved ones, and so many funerals had to be arranged. Ceremonies were carried out all over the city, honoring those who passed in battle, and ensuring their beliefs were honored throughout. The people of Taevas returned, helping to restore those buildings and homes that were damaged in the cost of war.

It took two weeks for people to return to their normal routines - Well, as normal as one can expect. Micah helped recruitment with training the new warriors and replenishing as much of the medical supplies as possible for the healers.

I was able to help a great deal thanks to my newly discovered healing powers. It made so much sense to me now - The way I'd been able to find the hidden medicinal herbs for the medics here, but also when I collected them for my grandmother. Thea had been moved into a small cottage in the Basmhor district. She took at job working at the local clinic and continued to create tonics and medicinal herbs and powders for the civilians. She worked tirelessly to aid anyone and everyone who sought her help.

I'd been to base every day, visiting the medical wing and helping to heal the soldiers who had been injured. Almost every soldier had been healed completely after the second week, and it was at that time that Commander Raz had ordered me home to rest. He insisted that I'd been burning myself out trying to help others when I really needed to focus on helping myself.

I'd arrived home that afternoon and the first thing I'd done was break down. The stress of the war on top of almost losing Gabe, and seeing how many had died and been buried really took its toll. I'd cried myself to sleep, only being roused by Evie to help me eat and shower. She helped brush my matted hair, wash my skin and help me dress before tucking me back into bed. She stayed with me while I slept, and whether she knew it or not, she helped keep the never ending nightmares away.

"How are you feeling?" Gabe spoke quietly. He'd come up this morning to check on me when Evie hadn't returned last night. She slept beside me, and I glanced over to her. I knew she'd been having nightmares about the same things I had. I could hardly blame her.

Exhaling deeply, I turned my gaze to Gabe, tilting my head towards the kitchen. We both stepped out, and I quietly clicked the door closed. Stepping into the kitchen, I pulled out a glass and filled it with water. Taking a long sip, the liquid helped wash away the hoarseness that had built there from screaming. Evie had woken me up twice last night, and the second time, we'd laid there crying together until we'd drifted off.

"I'm doing okay" I said, shrugging my shoulders. His eyes were sad, and I knew he could tell I'd been lying.

"Angel, is there anything I can do to help?" he asked, stepping over and taking my hand, he squeezed it softly. I squeezed back before stepping up and wrapping my arms around him. The trauma of everything that had happened would live with me forever, I just needed to figure out how to live with it. I needed to stop letting it affect me so badly.

"You up for a quick training session?" I asked, offering him a tilt up of my lips. He grinned back at me before swooping me over his shoulder and trudging down the hall. We both paused at the door as Evie stepped out of my room. Gabe dropped me down, as she passed a concerned look between us.

"We were just going to train" I quickly said before Gabe laughed.

"I can't help it if the women love me sweetheart" he said before stepping over to her and kissing her softly. I turned away, feeling like I'd intruded on a private moment.

"Can... Can I come with you?" she asked hesitantly before adding, "I don't want to be defenseless anymore. Yes, I know I have my abilities, but it's not the same" she finished, her brows drawn together in frustration. I understood exactly what she meant.