Chapter Four- Cassian

Edited

Your POV~ 

I awoke to the bustling sound of children playing in the street. The soft, silky fabric of the duvet slid along my skin as I eased myself up on my elbows. It was cool enough outside that the open window created a slight chill, causing goosebumps to form along my body. With sleep drifting away from me, I look around the room and spot a set of clothes at the foot of the bed. I knew they weren't going to take me back, something in my gut told me that, but I couldn't help the spike of panic that flooded my veins as I looked at the familiar flying leathers. Easing my knees to my chest, I took deep breaths.  The door creaked open and I lifted my head to see Feyre walking towards me. Everything was stifled as a soft, caring hand caressed the outer edges of my mind. 

"Hey, it's ok," She whispered, "You don't have to wear them I have extra clothes. We just thought you would like to learn how to fly?" As she reached me, that hand disappeared, leaving my mind numb. I looked at her own outfit, the leather hugging her curves and armor protecting her vulnerable parts. 

"Learn to fly?" I asked. The thought of learning how to fly this soon never crossed my mind. Hope and excitement flowed through my veins, warming the trauma that frosted them. 

"Yes. Cassian, Azriel, and I are going to teach you. But only if you are ready-" 

I didn't let her finish as I grabbed the leathers, " Yes! I, I mean yes. I am ready. I was actually going to teach myself sooner or later but I want to learn." I couldn't help the smile that bloomed on my face, memories be damned. Feyre offered me a gentle smile, her blue-grey eyes shining with relief as she left me to get dressed.  The leathers were fleece-lined and protected the soft parts of the body. Using the thickness of the leather to accommodate protection and movability. It came with matching leather boots and a dark, heavy cloak. The tunic had gaps made to fit Illyrian wings, with hidden buttons under the seam. I looked in the mirror, and to my surprise, only excitement flooded my blood. Not the panic I was feeling moments ago. 

I met Cassian and Feyre in the living room, Azriel nowhere to be seen.  Cassian was dressed like the rest of us, but red, swirling orbs adorned the armor over each wrist, accompanied but five other orbs, two on his shoulders, two on his knees, and one in the center of his broad chest. I gasped, knowing the meaning behind them. To think all the powerful males in my camp only had one to siphon their power, but he had seven, just how powerful was he?  Though their legends never reached the small camp I was raised in, the knowledge of their power made me quake a little. 

A cocky smile stretched its way onto Cassian's handsome features, "That was Feyre's reaction too." He let out a dark laugh, undermined by psychotic excitement. Feyre just rolled her eyes and offered an explanation. 

"Azriel and Cassian are two of the most powerful Illyrians in history, just as Rhys is the most powerful High Lord. We are all special in this court and I can feel you have a place here. We just need you to know how to use your powers. And it all starts with you learning to fly first." Her head was held high but there was a wicked gleam in her eyes. "I was trained by Azriel not even a year ago." She confessed.  Uncertainty squirmed its way into my mind. If they were all unique and offered something to the court, then what was I needed for? There was already a shadow-singer among them what use could I provide if my abilities were already being used? 

"You recently learned to fly?" I asked, ignoring the swirling thoughts of insecurities. 

"Yes, but I am a fast learner if I might say so myself." Feyre stood pridefully in front of me." But Cassian here will help. Since Azriel can't make it to training today, I will be in place of him, and any other time he can't make it due to his spymaster duties."