Chapter Ten~ Family

!!!WARNING!!! Like always I am putting a warning at the beginning of chapters that deal with harsh and dark topics that may be sensitive to others. I apologize if anything in this book offends you but I'm writing this the way I want to. There will be indicators at the beginning and end of the scenes that need a trigger warning.

Your POV~

My reflection stared back at me, and much like the night of Starfall I was picking and poking at my insecurities. My stomach -not as naturally flat as some females- hip dips, stretch marks, scars, you name it I was judging it. It was an effort not to revert to my old ways, to lock myself up and spiral into a deep, dark hole of emotions. But the dress was magnificent. A piece I had picked out at the Palace of Thread and Jewels courtesy of a woman whose face reminded me of my Mom. The gown itself was black at the bodice - semi-sweetheart style- and formed an elegant gradient to a deep, navy blue. There was a filmy, sheer fabric over it all, reminiscent of the wings of so many fae I had seen in the streets. Accompanying it all, bringing all the colors together, was a delicate silver necklace. It felt like an insult to the dress, and therefore the dressmaker, to see myself as ugly while it was on my body.

The difference between the night of Starfall and this moment is that I had Arlys to help me through my thoughts. The wraith-like being fluffing the train of the gown to flow around me. He had become a constant now that my reserve is as it once had been. Now actually eating and putting in the effort to become whole again, he has become a dear friend. Yet, I had made no effort summoning another spy, for fear of depleting the magic I put into him.

"Stop prodding at yourself, Mistress. The only good it'll do is crumble what had been rebuilt." Even though Arlys was a part of me, of my power, he never felt like it. It was like he was a completely different being solely here because my power allowed him to be. Where I was negative and distrustful, he was always thinking positively, always trusting everyone he talks to. He reminded me of a child at times. Especially when he is taking in the wonders of the world. The day we were walking around Velaris for ingredients, his eyes were constantly wide, taking everything in, yet silent. As if the mere thought of speaking would disrupt the wonder. He hadn't said anything about his experience but I know, the same way he knows, that we both enjoyed being outside.

Yet in times like this, he reminds me of a mother doting on her child. "I know. I know." I chuckle at his serious expression.

"Cassian is waiting in the living room. We should head down." Arlys commented as he fiddled with a hair that came out of place. He had done it the exact way I imagined it and I couldn't thank him enough. With one last look in the mirror, I saw the woman I once was. My muscles were coming back and I was putting on the weight I needed. I found that I quite liked the way I looked in this moment, done up and glowing with anticipation. There was still so much more to do to get me back on track, but my old self was shining through again.

Cassian stood in the living room, staring out of the window and into the night sky. He was dressed in his usual flying leathers and his hair was tied in his normal half updo, but there was an air of elegance around him.

Making my steps audible, I walk towards the front door. "You ready?"

"I was born ready." He grinned and followed me out of the door.

Cold night air sunk into my skin and nestled into my bones, effectively putting a damper on my mood. It wasn't the cold of the Illyrian mountains, but the memory of it was still etched into my skin. Sleepless nights shivering close to my mother for any scrap of heat, frozen hands, and cold feet. A shiver crept up my spine at the memory and I saw it do the same to Cassian. We glanced at each other with a reassuring look.