༅ 23. Summer Rain

Under The Light, Part 6: Summer Rain

Year 844

If adapting the ways of a well-mannered lady residing in the interior had to entail this, then Vanya would gladly have her citizenship revoked and go back to the Underground.

Because everything Vanya was, from the way she'd normally speak, sit, eat, walk, or stand, was everything the etiquette books condemned.

When she sits, she slouches, and crosses her legs

When she eats and drinks, she would occasionally use her hands to pick up her food, and sip her tea a bit too loudly.

When she walks, she has this habit of swinging her arms and skipping her steps (a habit she got from Isabel).

When she speaks her mind, she'd lose control of her mouth and tone. She was too frank, and loud. Her hands would gesticulate in a manner so theatrical, and her facial expression were always emphasized.

Apparently, all of these actions were what society considered as 'ill-bred' -- at least according to Victoria and the mountains of books about etiquette she had forced Vanya to read.

After that horrid week of withdrawal and regaining her physical strength little by little, Vanya had been consistently under the tutelage of Victoria in learning to live the ways of a dignified lady for two tiresome weeks.

"Endeavor yourself in acquiring true politeness and a gracious character, or else you shall perish in society," Victoria would always snide for every time Vanya fails to balance the book on her head, or picks up the bread knife at the wrong timing.

And if the young woman only had Levi's vulgar mouth, she would have already shot profanities like wildfire in every lesson possible.

But if there's one thing Vanya found to be the most frustrating in learning a noble lady's lifestyle, it wasn't keeping her tone as dainty as possible, or raising her pinky finger whenever she's holding a teacup.

It was the corsets.

Those damn, tight, peculiar corsets.

"How am I supposed to eat whatever I want in this -- oomph!"

Vanya, who stood in front of the mirror, gasped in surprise as a maid pulled the strings of her corset tighter, Vanya was so sure it would be impossible to slouch for the rest of the day and finish her meals.

She had never worn a corset in her entire life. She would have comfortable stays, which only wrapped at the busts and not the whole torso, over a loose chemise which allowed her to flit about comfortably and freely. And now, it all felt too weird wearing such a restrictive undergarment that chiseled her body to a certain figure for the very first time.

"If that's what it takes for us women to earn respectability then it is what it is," Alice, who was sitting at the edge of Vanya's bed, sighed. "You'll get used to it, darling," she added, casually motioning to her own corset that was invisible under her white morning dress.

"Respect is different from attention," Vanya quipped before she groaned once again when the servant tightened the laces. "Is wearing this -- ugh! Is wearing this supposed to be some societal requirement? Fit into their standards? Because if it is then I don't think I'd ever want to wear this again."

Alice chuckled at her sister's struggles. "Not necessarily."

"Really?" Vanya asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"If corsets are only worn to impress or gain validation, then why am I wearing it with a comfortable dress inside the house with no plans of going out?"