༅ First Interlude

First Interlude: Cedric's Goodbye

Vanya,

I'm so sorry for saying goodbye through this letter. I couldn't do it face to face because honestly... I'm scared. Stupid excuse right? I'm just so scared to see the disappointment or the hurt on your face, mostly mama's. And if I did, mama would only stop me. But I know you won't. I know you'd understand. Only you would understand why I have to do this.

    By the time you read this, I already have left the Underground and have gone to the surface. Or maybe in prison because those MP's have caught me -- but that's unlikely. You'll just have to trust me. And I'd rather you not know the means of how I was able to get on top. What's important is, I'm safe. Or at least, I will be.

    The reason I'm doing this is because I've thought about what you told me -- that I have a choice and a chance to be happy. And this is it, Vanya. I'm finally doing it, not only for myself but also for you and mama. I realized that life will get us nowhere in the Underground. It's hopeless. No matter how much I steal, or hurt other people, the money wouldn't be enough for mama's treatment. I love you and I trust you with your talents but mama needs to be treated on the surface and that will cost us our lives. And it has to be me who will make the sacrifice.

    I will try my best to earn a living and that's why I've made my choice to join the military. I heard that it pays well, although at the expense of my life. I'll be joining the Survey Corps so that the risk of me getting caught will be low since I'll be outside the walls most of the time. The training will be 3 years, and after that, I will come back to you and bring you and mama up here. Just 3 years, wait for me, alright?

    Lastly, I went up to look for papa. It's about time that we find him. Or at least know what happened to him. I can't stand the fact that he's up there enjoying his life at Stohess while we're all down here suffering. I will find him and when I do, I promise I will bring him home to you. I know how much he means to you and bringing him home is the least I can do.

    Don't come looking for me. Please. You'll just have to trust me. Stay there with mama, she needs you. Stay out of trouble, hide your face if you must because chances are, there are still dangerous people in the Underground chasing after me due to unfinished businesses and it's likely that they'll chase you down too. I'm sorry I had to drag you into my mess. Just lie low, don't go out too much.

    3 years, that's all I'm asking. After that, hopefully I'll be financially stable enough to buy you and mama citizenship. Have faith in me.

    I will see you very soon, okay? I'm sorry I had to say it like this, through a letter. Tell mama that I'll be fine, that she has no reason to worry about me. That goes for you too. I pray that you and mama will forgive me for doing this. For doing the same thing papa did. But the difference is, I'll come back home, I'll make sure of that.

    I love you, Vanya. I love you and mama so much, I'll miss you. I will always be thinking about you two... Goodbye.

Cedric

P.s. if ever you did get into trouble, look for Furlan Church and Levi. Won't be too hard finding them, I promise. They're good people and you can trust them.

Most especially Levi, you'll know him when you see him.