༅ 7. The Living Hell

A/N:

Wow an author's note in the beginning of the chapter, a first for everything HAHAHAH I am so excited for this specific arc in this story, and this arc will be about maybe 6 PARTS LONG! YES!! So no time jumps for the time being, it will be chronological for the next incoming chapters. And I'm gonna have to apologize in advance, the chapters in this arc will be hella long like at least 3000 words kskskdjkdkf

This arc will cover Vanya's past and how she became a doctor. ALSO!! HOW SHE AND LEVI MET AAAAAH IM SO PUMPED!! Basically, this arc will cover the "No Regrets" OVA of the anime so we'll be seeing her relationship as well with isabel, furlan aND ERWIN HEHEHEHE. OKAY I SHOULD SHUT UP NOW AND LET YOU READ.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life in the Underground, Part 1: The Living Hell

Year 838

Life in the dark city underneath Mitras where the royalty and nobility dwell was a living hell -- and saying that would still be an understatement.

In the Underground, it was a landfill of the poorest of the poor. The civilians residing there have rarely seen the light of day, which explains their common pale faces with eyes so morose. People were constantly starving with no roofs to take shelter. Even if you tell them to "just work hard", it would still be impossible to survive since there were rare job opportunities to begin with. Thus, people there resorted to being criminals. Illicit activities to them was their only chance at survival. Crime was very much prevalent to the point that witnessing someone getting stabbed right in front of you would just be a normal sight.

It was a living hell, indeed.

But on the evening of her 15th birthday, Vanya couldn't possibly ask for anything more in her small dark world.

"Happy birthday to you!" Her family sang cheerfully as they surrounded her in their small dilapidated shelter they call "home".

"Make a wish, love," Vanya's mother, Lily Ronan, tucked the fringes of her red hair behind her ears. Lily had the same shade of hair, making Vanya appear to be the smaller replica of her. But the difference was, Lily had hazel brown eyes as compared to her daughter's green eyes.

The now 15 year old girl closed her eyes for a moment.

I wish I could heal this dark world.

Then, she opened her eyes and blew the fire out of the candle that was poking right out of the small vanilla flavored cupcake her father was able to smuggle from the surface.

"What did you wish for?" Vanya's 20 year old brother, Cedric Ronan, teasingly bumped her shoulder.

"And why would I tell you that?" She rolled her eyes. "It won't come true if I do that."

"Fine," Cedric pouted. He wasn't always the type to act his age. "Sorry I didn't get you any birthday gift... again."

Of course, Vanya could perfectly understand. Like everyone else living in the Underground, they too lived a harsh life that survived on scraps.

"It's okay, Ced. As long as you're here, I'm already happy,"

Cedric grinned before kissing his little sister whilst ruffling her hair.

"But I did bring something for you, little bug,"

The father, Edward Claire, with his slicked black hair (a/n: THAT RHYMES HAHA) and piercing green eyes that were identical to Vanya's reached behind his leather canvas bag..