XIII.

~ a l l a p o l o g i e s ~
★彡

IN THE SUN I FEEL AS ONE.

          DAWN COULDN'T HANDLE LOSS

DAWN COULDN'T HANDLE LOSS. At least, not like a Roman should. Reyna had pointed this out many times. It was a weakness. Jason's mysterious disappearance had proved this to be true.

Dawn had spent weeks trying to find her blond haired best friend. Weeks of loosing sleep, breakdowns, and praying to any god that would listen.

Nothing worked.

And eventually, she gave up. Something extremely uncharacteristic, as if she had been influenced by something—someone else. This hadn't gone unnoticed by the camp. Especially not Reyna.

Everyone had seen how Dawn spiraled, and no one knew how to help. Not even Reyna or Hazel.

But Nico Di Angelo did. At the time, he was new to the camp. No one really noticed him, and no one really cared. But you could tell he liked it that way.

Dawn and Nico were polar opposites—it was laughable to most. Dawn being her bright self and Nico being more quiet, and dark.
Nonetheless, they fit perfectly. They told each other everything and anything, and at one point had gone on a double date.

And when Nico had shown up out of the blue one day with the short, wise, sweet toothed teen who was apparently his sister, Dawn swore to Nico that she would protect her on any quest.

Nico had a bad feeling about Dawn's swear. And so had Dawn.

So, when Dawn heard the cries of desperation from her best friend—her brother's sister, she went straight into protective mom mode.

And so had a certain son of Neptune.

"Frank, what the hell happened?!" She shouted as they ran through the high field of grass.

The stars were still twinkling in their amused way, as if their struggle was only a minor plot in their blockbuster film.

Frank cursed under his breath and opened his mouth to speak. "I-I don't know," His breathing got heavy and sweat glistened on his face. "I swear she was right here- and the grass- the grass took her." His face was red now.

"Hazel... was taken by grass." Percy's jaw was tensed as he looked at Frank with a confused smile.

"I want whatever he's on." He muttered under his breath as Frank gave him a deadpan look.

"No. Grass monsters picked her up and ran away with them."

Dawn ran a hand down her forehead. "Oh god." She paused in her sprint, and the boys slowed down with her.

"Frank?" He nodded, and picked at his fingers lightly. "Take a breath, we're going to find Hazel, I swear." She turned towards Percy with a finger pointed at his chest. "You—get the shit eating grin off your face. I know you really care about Hazel too."