XIX

" i was alone,    face to face with the sea

" i was alone,
face to face with the sea. "

PERCY WAS SMART. Or maybe completely idiotically selflessly eager to help people in a clever way, was a better way of putting it. Dawn didn't want to boost his ego too much, but you had to admit, the guy was a damn good demigod.

She tried, but never quite knew what was going on behind those swirling eyes of his, and it both scared and seduced her. Dawn didn't want to look at him. She didn't want to stare at the freckles on his cheeks and nose, the strand of hair dangling above them, or the scars from a life she wasn't part of, and knew nothing about.

She was so cooked. And she wouldn't dare admit it, especially not on a potentially life threatening quest. Especially not for a boy whose past was a complete mystery. She couldn't do that to herself.

So, as she stood around the picnic table with Hazel, Frank, some old blind evil guy, and him, she tried not to notice her heart beating wildly and unabashedly for the annoyingly handsome green eyed boy who was brave and stupid enough to drink poison to save a life that was not his own. He was a complete idiot, but she was felt like an even bigger idiot for thinking of him so constantly.

She wondered if she could ever do something so selfless. She didn't know if she had the courage to be so selfishly selfless. She wished she wasn't a coward.

"Welcome back!" Phineas called cheerfully. "I hear the flutter of nervous little wings. You've brought me my harpy?"

Dawn wanted to gag. She shared a disgusted look with Hazel, who was standing shoulder to shoulder with Frank. Dawn noted this, and almost looked over at Percy to see if he had noticed too, but she stopped herself. She knew better.

"She's here," Percy said. "But she's not yours."

Phineas sucked the grease off his fingers. His milky eyes seemed fixed on a point just above Percy's head.

"I see... Well, actually, I'm blind, so I don't see. Have you come to kill me, then? If so, good luck completing your quest."

Dawn snorted at this. If the guy wasn't a complete asshole, maybe he'd be a good standup comedian.

"I've come to gamble." Of course he had. This was Percy's stupid plan that Dawn couldn't believe was actually being enacted. Percy was standing in front of her, blocking her from Phineas's blank looks. She cursed him in her head for being so thoughtful and protective to her (and the rest of the group) while about to potentially sacrifice himself.

The old man's mouth twitched. He put down his shishkebab and leaned toward Percy.

"A gamble...how interesting. Information in exchange for the harpy? Winner takes all?"

"No," Percy said. "The harpy isn't part of the deal."

Phineas laughed. "Really? Perhaps you don't understand her value."