eight

"Alright class, pencils down." Ms. Lively, my AP Literature teacher, announced. I looked up at the clock, noticing it was just two minutes until the bell rang, meaning it was lunchtime. "Exams on my desk on your way out." The young teacher finished. She was easily one of my favorite teachers I'd ever had, and I think it came with being in her mid-twenties. She'd graduated college early, and came back to Barton almost immediately. She didn't have the easiest curriculum, which I appreciated, but a lot of other students detested.

I slipped my pencil back into my book bag, and stood up from my desk. I didn't hurry getting my bag like everyone else, knowing Danny was standing outside the door waiting for my class to finish. He'd missed school yesterday, claiming he had caught a stomach bug over the weekend, but I knew it was from the embarrassment of poking his friend mid-tackle with his unwarranted hard on.

As the bell rang, I slung my bag over my shoulders and watched everyone else file out of the class as quickly as they could. Seventeen year olds and food wasn't anything you wanted to mess with. I waited for Danny to poke his head around the corner, and when he did, he beamed brightly at me.

"Hi, babe." He said, and I expected my heart to flutter like it usually did. I was almost disappointed when it didn't.

"How are you feeling today?" I asked him, attempting to make small talk so he wouldn't kiss me. And again, I was almost disappointed when he did. After sleeping with him Friday, things just hadn't been the same. But I guess they really weren't supposed to be, and I was having a hard time adjusting to it.

Danny grabbed my hand in his, and we made our way towards the cafeteria. His thumb grazed the backside of mine as we walked. "I feel a lot better. I just needed to rest." He fibbed, but he was so convincing.

"I'm glad." I said, trying to match his energy. The walk to the cafeteria was short, the English wing was right around the corner from the senior cafeteria and garden. We'd been sitting in the senior cafeteria since sophomore year, when Danny started getting recognized for his athleticism, so it wasn't as exciting as it would have normally been when we got to pick our table this year. What was exciting, however, were the Bosco sticks that I could smell the lunch ladies warming up.

Danny kissed me on the cheek before he went off to grab our lunches. I went for our usual seats, by some of the other guys on the football team. Unfortunately, I hadn't had lunch with any of my friends this semester, so I was stuck sitting with all of Danny's teammates. Rhys was about my only saving grace, but I still wasn't sure if I could consider him a friend or not.

As I sat down, some of the guys noticed me, and the conversation stopped. I set my book bag down in between my feet and pulled my water bottle out of the side pocket.

"Hey, Abby." One of Danny's friends, Alex, waved to me. None of them ever said hi to me, which was weird. I cocked my brow and returned his awkward half-wave. "How's Danny?" He asked.

"Um, yeah he's feeling better. He had a stomach bug." I said, and Alex nodded his head.

"Yeah, a stomach bug." One of the guys next to him snickered, and Alex elbowed him in the side. I shook my head and tried to surpress the grin I wanted to crack. It shouldn't have been as funny as it was, but I was definitely enjoying the chip in Danny's perfect armor.

I wondered what else Tessa would come up with, and if it would be any bit as satisfying as this had proven to be. Something so simple, but I was getting so much enjoyment out of his slight discomfort. Danny had been texting me all weekend, trying to get me to come over, I'd assume to help with his problem. He even missed church Sunday morning, telling his parents he was sick. I had only put the crushed up pills in his bottle for one day, but he could've drank it into Sunday, since he didn't drink it all within practice. All I really know is how busy my Snapchat was because of him.